Squirrel Gardens & Veggie Problems... oh wait, reverse that LOL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I have a Schnauzer, he killed 7 squirrels one year that I know of.
Does he get a special treat when he leaves ya a "present" in the driveway?

My cat's pretty funny when he nails a squirrel. He'll leave it in the driveway to share with us. If we don't show any interest (as in I grab it by the tail and heave it into the woods) in the next few hours, he comes back to it and eats it himself in a couple of sittings over the course of the day.

The funniest episode was when we had our daughter's in-laws to the house after the wedding last year. VERY prim-and-proper city folk. As we were walking the vegetable garden, the cat walks right into the middle of a group conversation offering to share a fresh chipmunk with anybody interested. A variety of reactions there.

Further down the "redneck cat" line, a few years ago I was standing in the driveway talking to a Census worker. As we're talking, one of the cats (now-deceased) decided to relieve himself on the poor woman's leg. I was truly torn between laughing and cringing.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I was also going to suggest a small dog! My little guy Buddy, in my avatar, absolutely hates squirrels with a passion and even though we had an elderly Italian gentleman living next door with a lovely vegetable garden, the little buggers stayed clear of our place. I actually think it was the deafening barking that kept them away, LOL!

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Does he get a special treat when he leaves ya a "present" in the driveway?

My cat's pretty funny when he nails a squirrel. He'll leave it in the driveway to share with us. If we don't show any interest (as in I grab it by the tail and heave it into the woods) in the next few hours, he comes back to it and eats it himself in a couple of sittings over the course of the day.

The funniest episode was when we had our daughter's in-laws to the house after the wedding last year. VERY prim-and-proper city folk. As we were walking the vegetable garden, the cat walks right into the middle of a group conversation offering to share a fresh chipmunk with anybody interested. A variety of reactions there.

Further down the "redneck cat" line, a few years ago I was standing in the driveway talking to a Census worker. As we're talking, one of the cats (now-deceased) decided to relieve himself on the poor woman's leg. I was truly torn between laughing and cringing.
When he killed one he would run around in circles barking at it, and then play-bowing at it as if to say "I caught you, now you catch me!" Then he'd eventually just leave it in the middle of the yard where he caught it. My roommates dog would then go take it and put it on my roommates bed.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
Hmmmm. Dead squirrel on the bed........I've had to deal with lots o gross stuff pets do to critters. I don't think I can top that one. When I tell my wife about this one, maybe she won't complain so much, lol.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
You would be amazed what just the casual presence of a dog will do. We live in Pike County Pa. Usually 1st or 2nd in state black bear harvested every single year. There's a hunting lodge a mile or so from my house the guys call "Bear Swamp Lodge". If we see a bear once or twice a year, it's a good year for bear sightings. Even the coyotes keep their distance. We hear them howling in the state forest all the time. We've never even come close to spotting one (which isn't altogether surprising). But as you get lower on the food chain, they tend to get a little brassier and take more chances like squirrels and chipmunks.

My female German Shepherd was absolutely the best. We still have her son who is pretty useless (my wife disagrees). When he goes, I'll be truly torn between another female Shepherd or a small terrier.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
My Miniature Pinscher will chase squirrels...which seems like it's good. Except, she has a seizure disorder so anytime she starts to chase them she will get half-way to them, flop to her side and start seizing. I believe the squirrels just get a laugh out of this. We have to go scoop her up, bring her back into the house to medicate her and let her rest. She is pretty useless. It is rather funny to watch peoples reaction who come onto the property and if she is out she barks, tries to chase them, then keels over and starts seizing. I watched two salesman jump in their van and tear out of the driveway before I could even make it completely outside. I think they thought they killed her. :D It's sad for her and is a sad situation but we just have to laugh sometimes.

We have a mamma skunk who seems to have a litter under the chicken coop each year. It's far enough from the house we just let them go. They are very cool to watch and seem to avoid the garden. We have what's called around here a "truck patch garden"...meaning it's huge. Most of the critters can take what they want and do little damage, the deers tend to be pigs though.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Skunks are welcome in my garden, they like to eat grubs not vegetables. They will sometimes inadvertently uproot a plant with their digging, but it's pretty rare.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I've had skunks "set up camp" under the shed as well, and I know they aren't after my potatoes. Unfortunately, if you have dogs, they just don't mix well at all. De-skunking a large dog just isn't fun, but it does give you a good excuse for giving them a bath.

I remember when my meathead got skunked during his morning walk (the property's fenced), and he got skunked in the wee hours. As my wife and daughter got him back in the house and were just about to get in the car to head to school, he got into his usually goofy mood. Well, the morning went south from there as both my wife and daughter had to come home from school early..............at the request of others.

Getting back to the IP's question, yes dogs and cats can help if not eliminate the problem. But...........nothing's perfect.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
If you don't have access to rifles, cats or dogs, try cayenne pepper either in a spray (mix 1/2 cup cayenne in 1 quart of water; bring to a boil then steep for 30 minutes) or sprinkled on plants, potato hills or when planting corn and bulbs (to ward off chipmunks).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store