Started my fishless cycle today...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

igotafishtank

AC Members
Jan 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
YAY!!!! The cycle has completed!!! 6 weeks...so, some fish went in yesterday...

Picked up 4 yellow labs, 3 OB Zebra, 4 Yellow Tail Acei, and 2 Bristlenose Plecos, for a total of 13 fish approx. 1" - 2" in length each to start...unfortunately we lost one of the Acei before we got them home (it is a 5 - 6 hour round trip to any decent fish stores with good stock - so not going to worry about their 5 day guarantee on stock for the $5 or so it cost).

Things seem to be going well, the plecos are munching away at the glass almost constantly and the 10 cichlids are all exploring the rock work in groups and alone...right now the seem to be cross species schooling at times as well. I have yet to see any kind of aggression or maybe I am just missing it.

Previously I had mentioned that I was considering plants fo rthis tank, I have ruled this out and the wife has agreed, so it is unlikely that we will ever have plants in this tank.

I had also mentioned adding a second heater to the tank and I had. I chose two of the Marineland Stealth Pro (prior to the recall) and have since replaced them with two Eheim Jager heaters.

The water is really clear, lots, of circulation, good filtration...water quality is where it should be, although we will be testing twice weekly for the first little bit until we are certain it is stable, then will go to weekly or bi-weekly from there...

Still thinking about adding some more fish...considering some rustys and cobue...think that will add a little different colour.

Oh, and the kids are loving it...it is a snow day for them today (no school), so they have been watching the tank most of the day and screeching with delight whenever a fish "does something". LOL...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store