Starting a 200L cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
I am starting a 200L cichlid tank and arent having any luck finding advice from people yet,
i was wondering what cichlids and other fish i should put in it,
i am thinking of having hatchetfish but also want cichlids such as severums

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
IMO, I do not see a problem with Sliver Hatches and Severums

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
cool, thats awesome how i can have hatchetfish and severums in the same tank
Now my new question is what other fish can i put in this tank (more cichlids, catfish, others, etc.) and thankyou 'tanker' for helping me. And also how many of each can i keep in the tank, thinking of maybe breeding the severums

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A 200 L tank isn't a lot of space tbh. I would say to stick with a pair of severums and a school of about 6-10 hatchets. It would leave you room for a bristlenose pleco or two for bottom dwellers IMO.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Have you researched cycling the tank yet?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A lot of people that are new to the hobby assume that cycling the tank means running water through the filter for a period of hours or days before adding the fish.

I'm guessing what he means is, have you researched the different methods used for cycling, how to know when the tank is cycled, and have you decided on a method you are going to use?

Here's a quick and dirty over view of cycling methods. I'd recommend having a read.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fishkidz/beginner-fish/fishless-cycling.aspx

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
i just gave it a read and i think i will do a fishless cycle using food as the source of ammonia.
my stocking ideas are:
1 pair of green severums
1 pair of angelfish (need suggestions on what type)
1 pair of plecos (need suggestions on what type)
6 marbled hatchetfish
6 corydoras (need suggestions of what type)
I am planning on having a 2nd filter which is an up tp 200L hang-on-back filter which will help with filtration and also will have a few plants to add some more biological filtration. Another thing i need answered is what plants could live with these species and also what should i put in the tank (do i need driftwood, stones, etc.)
What would the requirements( PH, etc.) for these fish species to live in the same tank

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't put a pair of severums AND a pair of angels in that size tank. With the max sizes and spawning/territorial behaviours of those fish you will end up with nothing but heartache. Its not to do with filtration capacity but with behaviour and swimming space for the fish.

If you want a school of cories I would go with the angels instead of the severums. Severums have greater body mass and will take up more space/produce more waste than angels will. This will leave you with room for the cories. Also, if you want to do plants angels would be the better option. While severums are more docile than a lot of the cichlids, they still have a propensity to dig up plants in some cases.
In that size tank the only plecos I would do would be: bristlenose, rubberlip or clown. There are a few other smaller species, but they're more on the rare side and these are the three most common/easy to find.

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
how would these fish go:
1 pair of severums
1 pair of bristlenose plecos
6 marbled hatchetfish
6 bronze corydoras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store