Starting a SW tank, some good advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Originally posted by Sting
When cycling using the shrimp, after the cycle is complete do you have to remove the shrimp or do they completely desintegrate?
I also would like to know the same..

They are getting pretty nasty !!:eek:

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Nope, they will soon completely vanish as the bacteria digest them. Have you enjoyed the jelly factor of em? I thought is was hillarious to watch a liquid within a liquid quiver =)

Some people do a big water change after it's all over, but I personally don't see that as being necessary. I mean, every trace of the shrimp will have been digested, what is left to change? Perhaps it is to remove the nitrate that is building up, but soon your DSB will take care of that for you.

Onion, I'm honored :D

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Cool...there is already Alge growing on the sand in a few places..

I just did some more readings and it's in the other post.

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Progress, Readings and pics for 2nd. Week (3rd. in operation)

Well things are coming along. Certain levels have dropped and everything is looking peachy....

First the pics....and the water is almost perfectly clear but I do have to clean the glass..

Shrimp melting away !!!

Readings for 6-10..

PH= 8.2 (up from 8.1 and are now normal!!!)
Ammonia= 0ppm (down from .25ppm and is zero now !!!)
Nitrite= 5.0ppm (dropping fast from off the chart 4 days ago !!)
Nitrates= 80ppm (down from OFF THE CHART !! as my kit goes to 160ppm !!!)

Temp/ SG = Same

So things are really coming along now after 3 weeks of operation. The shrimp are quickly melting away and things are looking good..

I'll do 1 more on Thursday and I'm out for the weekend...

We'll see what happenes in 2 days !!

Jason

Last edited:

Sting

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
www.picturetrail.com
Wow, that's awesome! Those shrimp look nasty- Did they ever sart smelling?

JasonA

May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
Originally posted by Sting
Wow, that's awesome! Those shrimp look nasty- Did they ever sart smelling?
No, they really never did. I assume that would have been thanks to the incredible levels of Nitrates and Nitrites I had..

I took my little cleaner stick, and barely touch one of them and it just disintegrated into an almost dust like powder !!!

The tank was a bit cloudy with all the shrimp particles but after a hr. or so it's clearing back up... could not believe that !!!

I turned off the skimmer for now...gonna wait a few days and then after the 3rd. week, it'll run all the time...

I hoping by 4th. of July I'll be able to start getting some fish:D

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Don't forget the detrivores(and Clean up crew) - I always give them three weeks in a tank before the fish after the cycle is done. I also start to feed twice daily when I add the Detrivores( and Clean up Crew). You will be suprised at how much healthier you tank can be if you take the time now.

Ray

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
I feed an asortment of flake foods. I just grind the flakes between my fingers as I drop them in the tank. Over feed a little. You will have a lot less algae problems later from my experience.

Ray

always learning

AC Members
Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
actually I ment for feeding of fish, crabs... but thanks anyway and do you use freeze dried or sometimes frozen for fish? if not what do you use?

thanx,
always learning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store