Starting a SW tank, some good advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 11, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
OrionGirl said:
The shrimp used were dead, cocktail shrimp from the deli. They decompose, which introduce ammonia, which is the food source for the beneficial bacteria you want established. Ammonia is a natural waste product of fish, and toxic. The bacteria break it down into nitrites (also toxic), that is broken down to nitrates by another set of bacteria.
If I go with the shrimp to cycle, for a 40gal tank how many shrimp should I chunk into the tank?

SlowJim

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
woodyblueeyes said:
If I go with the shrimp to cycle, for a 40gal tank how many shrimp should I chunk into the tank?
1 medium-to-large sized raw shrimp will do just fine ;)

awsome information

Thanks for the great info. So glad I can copy and start an info folder. I have been told to use right now bacteria when I start my tank. Any thoughts? I have gotten 4 powerheads to place in tank. Can there be too much water movement in a quasi reef/fish? Also can crushed oyster be used in DSB? Maybe mixed with sand?

70gal tank liverock/sump system. going with passive fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes and no. Lots of water movement is a good thing, but there are some animals that will prefer less. So, you can break up the current with rock and provide low movement areas for those animals without compromising the total flow.

Crushed oyster won't provide denitrifaction--it will be similar to crushed coral. Mixing it will help, but still not provide as much surface area for bacteria to colonize.

firehunter451

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
KS
overview

i junt want to see if i am following.

1. place the aquarium = done

2. mix 50% sandbox safe play sand and 50% live sand in the bottom of the aquaiurm

3. and add water with a heater.

4. let that set and place 2 - 3 coctail shimp in and let the amonia and nitrates spike ( do i need to have the filter system running)

5. once the tanke has cycled place the live rock

6. place starter fish in and let set for a few weeks.

7. start adding fish slowly and once my rocks have veriuse color add coral and aninamies

this a great i am learning so much hear

Ok. to create the DSB use sand,live sand, maybe some crushed coral? Do not place a layer of crushed oyster on bottom than add the layer of sands? Can I add sea shells to the set up from craft stores? Beside anything metal,bad things, are there other dangerous decoration that should not go into the tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The crushed coral won't benefit the system in anyway, and a thick enough layer can inhibit the denitrifiers. Clean, untreated shells can be added and are fine. Decorations that are inert are fine--and some that are not will be as well. I tend to avoid decorations that don't look natural, but that's a matter of choice. Sharp objects that would pose a threat to fish should be avoided, as well. What did you have in mind?

I was just wondering what could be harmful. Maybe some terecotta pots? I haven't set up yet, waiting for homemade LR to cure. What about that black sand that I've seen on-line, is that ok? I'm really greatful for the help. I don't really trust The LFS ppl all that much.

Home made live rock oragon cement I
crusher oyster shell/crushed coral
water

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Terra cotta is safe, as long as it a new, clean pot. Used pots can retain ferts or chemicals that may have been used on the plant, and these things may leach back into your water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store