Starting a SW tank, some good advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nverlast1

AC Members
Sep 6, 2005
hhhhhhheeeeeeelppppppppp

i been reading threads here for a while and they have been great help but now i have a couple of q? im settin up a 55 gal tank for moray eel, how much salt,when to add, do i need the base rock or live sand or can i roll with the castle rock sand?

colesy

AC Members
Sep 18, 2005
JasonA how is your tank coming along anyway? It's been awhile since you have posted updated pictures. I was also wondering how you paid for your intial base rock, and how many lbs that was. Did you just pick it up at your local pet store?

rottlvr2

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2005
Well...

Jason, I am curious as to how your tank turned out. I am considering a 55g FOWLR.

rottlvr2 :D

fitnessfien

Registered Member
Oct 31, 2005
begining saltwater

i just recently bought a 135 gal. going to go slt for the first time. im going to go fish only but i wanted to know how many power heads would i need and where should they be placed? great site ive been reading for hours thanks for all the info.

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
begining saltwater

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just recently bought a 135 gal. going to go slt for the first time. im going to go fish only but i wanted to know how many power heads would i need and where should they be placed? great site ive been reading for hours thanks for all the info.
You might want to start a new thread for this. I'd say it depends on the size of the powerheads.

tomdkat

Da Man
Nov 29, 2005
This is a great thread! I've kept marine aquaria over the years but I haven't had any up for the past 4 years or so and I'm looking to start one up (55g) soon. :)

This forum has changed my mind about subscribing to an aquarium magazine! :D

Peace...

the3kgt2

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Glad this thread is still up and running. I wish I read this before I bought my live rock. I just finished setting up my tank 2 days ago and ordered live rock on Sunday. It's being shipped ground 5 days and will be here tomorrow. If the 5 day shipping isn't bad enough to kill off the live rocks, the Ammonia spike that hasn't happened yet sure will. I guess I'll just throw it in there and buy a few more pounds when the cycle is done...

haff

Registered Member
Dec 8, 2005
Got room for another Newbie???

Greeting to all from Sunny Southwest Florida. I feel lucky to have found this site prior to my first SW setup. There was a poster, Logical, on here who only posted to this thread once. Residing in Florida, he claimed to be able to set-up his 35 gal Hex tank in 72 hours using only Ocean water and live sand.

Exerpt from His thread:

filled the tank 60% fresh ocean salt water $0.50 a gallon its cheep enough we don’t mix salt here or I can drive 10 miles to the beach and get it free.

Added 20 LB live sand (no bed rock or crushed rock) I was told not necessary.

added 20 Lb live rock and toped off the tank with water had to add 3 gallons of bottle water to get the salinity down to 1.023.

Ran the filter for 12 hours before I added 4 Damsels to start my tank cycling, by the way the water was mostly clear in 4 hours and very clear in 24 hours. Tested water before Damsel was added. Test results PH 8.0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 0 Ammonia

He only posted once and was never heard from again. I'm thinking maybe nitrates got him, lol.

I'm not looking for a shortcut here; but, I love the idea of saving time using a natural resource I obvoulsy have in ready supply.

Would anyone care to support/debunk this method?

jayfish

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
i messed up big time!!!!

i read every post on this tread and relized the local kid at my fish storedidnt help i starteda swfish tank11/15 and wasted no time putting fish andlive rock in the tank (within a week) i ran awisper style of filter for the 2weeks and recently changed it to a wet dry with a scimmeri guess my biggest worry i have right now is the type of substrate i used-i wish i could tell you what it is its saltwater safe whiteitsnot coral but a kind of gravel my ? is can i safely add live sand or sand to the tank right now without harming the fish i have put in? 3 damsels 1arrow crab 1emerald crab 3 turbo snails and some polyps to the best of my knowledge i beleave the tank has cycled but there was never a real big spike of anything other then an algae bloom wich the snails cleaned up for me if anyone can give me some advice i would apreciate it :dance2: thankyou

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store