Starting an aquarium installation business

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start an aquarium installation business? I'd love to install freshwater setups in local restaurants and offices. Has anyone done this? Think it'd be worth looking for clients?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
I dont see how it could possibly hurt as a "hobby" job. I wouldnt say quit your day job tho!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

geopa

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
First, does anyone else offer this service in your area, in the Pittsburgh region two of the surviving LFS already offer aquarium installation . Second,what is the demand for this service, years ago quite a few restaurants had large show aquariums, now not so many, sure the economy was a big factor.

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
My buddy used to do this but his contracts came with stocking and maintenance of the tanks it ended up taking up 3 or 4 days a week cleaning but after economy went down so did his business

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Also custom tank shapes sizes would be a plus

Sent from my LS670 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

boon4376

AC Members
Aug 30, 2012
Maine
In a bad economy, you'll be hard pressed to sell these to businesses that are scraping for pennies - something that requires a lot of time and money with no ROI. In restaurants, they can be another thing, that if not perfectly maintained, make your restaurant look gross.

I think "fish people" can imagine how great it would be if there were fish tanks everywhere - but people who are not fish people do not get it. And it's hard to make a non-fish person a fish person.

Not to be overly negative, but to put a different perspective on it. I wouldn't quit your day job. But I assume there is probably someone in your town typing into Google "[city] [state] custom aquariums" or something at least on a semi regular basis - but is the demand enough to make it a "real" job? You'll only find that out with time.

In my experience, every where I have gone with a fish tank, usually one of the employees really likes fish and takes care of it after hours.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Don't forget the insurance!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I've done this a few times in my city, but not enough to warrant opening a business. Having said that my city isn't very big so don't let my experience get ya down! Good luck!

:cheers:

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
The options for doing this are endless: my dentists office has 2, the eye doctor has 1, not to mention quite a few restaurants. If it were me, I would first do some surveying of different establishments and see what type of reception you receive. Like a PP stated, the economy is not great right now. However, there are many new businesses springing up all the time. I agree with don't quit your day job - yet. Good luck. (I, too, am north of Boston.)3

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store