Sterbai cory frys keeps dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I had about 20 cory frys, but everyday there 2 or 3 that keeps dying.

I feed them a spec of fry food twice a day.
I do 25% water change before feeding. (replaced with tap water that had been left in a bucket overnight)
Bare bottom, very clean, no left overfood or poop (not that i can see at least)

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
What food specifically are you feeding? They may not recognize it as food.

Corys naturally sift through sand. I would put a think layer of sand in their tank. Live food will naturally occur in the substrate. And some cover, like a chunk of bogwood. Dried leaves (oak, beech, Indian almond) might help as these provide infusoria on which fry graze.

I also would not do a water change before feeding, as the water change may cause some stress and fish under stress may not (and should not) eat.

I have never deliberately spawned/raised corys, but I have had them spawn and fry survive in my community tanks. So others with more direct experience may have other suggestions.

Byron.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I'm feeding them ""New Life Spectrum Small Fry Starter"
I'll hold back on the water changes before feeding.

I kept it bare bottom because I thought it would be harder to clean, but i'll try adding a thin layer of substrate.

Thanks for your response.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'm feeding them ""New Life Spectrum Small Fry Starter"
I'll hold back on the water changes before feeding.

I kept it bare bottom because I thought it would be harder to clean, but i'll try adding a thin layer of substrate.

Thanks for your response.
Does this food sink to the bottom? My cory fry that made it obviously found food without my adding anything other than the normal sinking foods for the mature fish. But in my planted tanks there is also a lot of microscopic food in the substrate, which is why I suggest the sand; this obviously is what they eat in their habitat. The dried leaves provide it quickly.

Good luck.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have raised Cory frys on a bare-bottom tank before. Are you treating the water before leaving it over night?? Do you have a filter?? The tank would need some kind of BIO filter. A sponge filter would be best. What size tank is it?? Temp??

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
The food doesn't sink at first, but I do have a small sponge filter which takes less then 1 min to sink all the food to the bottom.
I did not treat the water, I thought just leaving it over night would had been good enough. (should i treat the water?)
The tempture is 76 F.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would always treat the water. New fry are very sensitive to water chem.

Is the sponge filter "Cycled??

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are their bellies full?? When they are small, they should look like they just ate a marble. Nice and round. PS---What size tank??

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, their bellies are full. I can see the orange color of the food since they are kind of transparent.
They are in a small 5 gallon tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store