Sterbai cory frys keeps dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Just to update, I stopped doing water changes before feeding and it does seem to be the cause.
It's now been a few days and only 1 has died instead of a few everyday.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Not sure why the WC would cause it, but glad the babies stopped dying. Good Luck.

You only started with about 20, how many are left??

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The food doesn't sink at first, but I do have a small sponge filter which takes less then 1 min to sink all the food to the bottom.
I did not treat the water, I thought just leaving it over night would had been good enough. (should i treat the water?)
The tempture is 76 F.
Does your tap have chloramine or chlorine? Chloramine will not gas off as chlorine does. I am not even sure I would rely on gas off/aging for a fry tank.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah, i'm not too sure why that helped either, doesn't really make much sense to me. I thought the water would be pretty much the same as what's already in there.. . only cleaner.

I don't know if my water has chloramine or chlorine, but I live in Brooklyn, NY if that helps.

I started with 20, 3 to 5 dying daily, but there new eggs that i put in a fine mesh media bag (cut a small soda bottle to keep it open wide) once it hatched I put them with the rest of the frys.
Out of the first 20, only 4 are left. The new frys there are about 15-20 also, but one died yesterday.

They laid eggs again, but they didn't hatch yet.

I don't understand how they hold so many eggs when they are so small.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
On second thought, other then not changing the water before feeding, I also left the light off.

Could it be the light that was killing them?
Are frys sensitive to light?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes, light does factor in. But that alone would not kill them.

There is no doubt now at all about the cause. Your tap water, anywhere in North America, will definitely have chlorine in it. It may or may not have chloramine; a check of your water board's website should tell you. But chlorine is deadly toxic and it burns the fish's gills quickly. If you only change a small amount of the tank water, say 10-15%, you might get away with it if the fish were mature. But in larger volumes there is bound to be trouble.

The dechlorinators available today, what we call water conditioners, are not that expensive and should always be used on municipal water. These instantly dechlorinate the water. If you have chloramine too, use a conditioner that also detoxifies chloramine (not all do, it will say on the label).

I don't think there can be any doubt that using unconditioned tap water killed the fry. Fry are not able to handle things that older fish might manage, though as I said chlorine is a killer and it does affect fish even if they survive, so always use a good conditioner.

Byron.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I do have both seacheme safe, I just don't like to use chemicals too often.
I'll be sure to use them for now on.
Thanks!

swimmers

Registered Member
May 22, 2015
Mate its a learning curve we all have when first breeding , even with all info about any fish on the internet these day,but sometimes you i gotta make your own mistakes to learn what and what not to do .i breed Angels,Pepper corys and 3 spoon to be 4 different BN
As said above your w/c's are doing you fry no good !.its not treated so chlorine would be a major fact in the homicide,as well as being to cold or hot ,water parameters totally different from tape to tank,but i also see starvation as playing its part in it as well.
Its a very common mistake a lot {including me} make with fry,killing them with love i call it .But it can be remedied.
first doing a 25% W/C in a tank with adult fish is sometime most people only do once a week,you did this daily with fry stresing them by changing the Water parameter way to fast and on empty bellies, and reading your thread i'm guessing you didn't check the temp of the water going back into the fry tank, it only takes 1 or 2 degrees higher or lower to stress young fry,especially on empty bellis.
Follow this rule of thumb and we should see you tanks full of corys in no time,.
1* treat and age your w/c water in a lightly stocked tank over night,making it the same temp as the fry tank and the parameters[ ph and gh ]as close as possible to the fish tank,when you are ready to do a w/c,using an airstone and a metre or so of air hose, trickle siphon the water back in straight from the aging tank to the fry tank if possible,this way the fry get a chance to acclimatise to the slight change to the water never more than 5% daily for the first 2 weeks,included the siphoning off of uneaten food in you 5/10%and do clean the sponge filter for the first two weeks either,it will give them there first meal after hatching, Thats how you should do W/C for any young fry no matter what they are.
The other part is your feeding program,feed twice a day is ok for adult fish but you fry are growing at a rapid rate and will burn up any energy the food gives them very fast,just like us when growing up alway hungry.Feed a minimum of 4 times a day.Newly hatched live brine shrimp or microworms are best there full of protein,Frozen is ok but you need to use an airstone to make it move like its alive so they see it as food,if you cant get there of them there are some good powder fry food on the market but i only uses it as a back up if the brine shrimp not ready in time.
I personally dont do it but a lot of cory breeders all get all their sponge filters and squeeze them out in the fry tank so the fry to eat the micro creator that live in the sludge.Week 2 you can start giving other small foods such as crushed sinking pellets and finely crumbled flakes but wet the flake so it sinks faster

remember they only babys little things are massive to them
o ,more than 10%W/C daily and includes siphoning as much uneaten food as possible off at less twice a day i do morning before work and at nite before i go to bed.W/C in the morning as well
If you follow this as a rule of thumb and we see your tanks full of corys in no time

Pss:One more there a few reason for eggs not hatching ,G.H is too high which will harden the shells so their no longer
pores or to low making males sperm becomes impotent ,ph will play its part here too,,or the female may have chosen a new male who is sterile or neither of them were in the right condition o spawn again so soon n,but that's fairly normal with more young fish
,one of my pepper pair once spawned 4 times in a week when they first started start THink only 7 or 8 eggs hatched out about 50 eggs that week
watch them bit more and you'll learn what they want and need by the way they move around the tank.
well i hope that cleared a few things up for you and we hear some good news and pics of your success

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store