Still cycling/molly update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

enufluvfor3

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I am cycling with Bio Spira and remember a thread I think on this site where the tank cycled in like 8 days. I am going on day 9 and still showing 0.5-1 ammonia and not going down. Nitrites 0 and nitrates 12.5. I did add Metronidozole to the tank two doses two days apart because of stringy poop but have stopped that thanks to advise from AC. I haven't been able to really study my fish like I usually do today but I haven't noticed any long stringy poop today but after I fed them their pea the dalmation had the poop too (she didn't have it before) but I think that might have been due to maybe a laxative effect.

I don't know if adding that med is why I am not cycling as quickly. I did add another full dose of the Bio Spira though hoping that would help.

When I do water changes, 20% once or twice daily, but did a 50% yesterday I siphon the gravel and try to get as much of the gunk out as I can. There is a LOT of gunk and I can't stress a LOT enough. I have 2 mollies and 2 cory's in there now. My question is whether or not I should be siphoning the gravel or will that remove any of the good bacteria. When I did my 50% yesterday I really did it good. I got way down in the gravel and vaccumed and vacumed until almost everything was clear. There were a lot of fine particles along with the obvious food and waste. I wonder what those fine particles were and didn't think they would be bacteria because bacteria should be microscopic right?

I know with the Bio Spira I am supposed to have a full fish load but don't want to add any more until I am cycled. I am also worried that if there is a paracite in the molly's that it could be contageous. I had 3 serpea tetras in there but took them out because they were terrible bullies. Maybe because there weren't enough but I didn't want to add two more in there for them to join in the bully bashing, plus add more fish to an uncycled tank.

I just wonder how long I can expect to still see ammonia and if I should ever expect to see nitrites. I figure in a "normal" cycle I woud start to see a decrease in ammonia by now (even though I'm sure it would have gotten above 1 ppm) and an increase in my nitrites. But....with the Bio Spira I am not sure as to what the normal cycle would be. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
As a general rule, about 14 days. As long as you aren't getting any spikes, I wouldn't worry. Without biospira, I have had cycling take up to 6 weeks.

enufluvfor3

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Okay, I have a spike. Amm 4, nitrites <0.25, nitrates 12.5 still, ph 6.8 (fluctuating!!) I am not buffering the ph but when I added more bio spira it went up to 7.6 and dropped again. I am really worried about my cory and really don't know what to expect with the bio spira. Mollys still have the extremely stringy poop constantly. What a sight every time I look at them. It was just the black one but now both since I gave them some veggies. Don't know if this is good or bad. How long should the ammonia spike last? I really wish I sent fishless instead of the bio spira but I don't think the fish store will be very happy about taking the fish back, especially since they aren't sellable. At least not with the mollys with a constant string hanging from their back ends and the corys fins are tore up and one is about twice as dark as he was when I got him.

HOw much water changes should I be doing without worrying about the ph fluctuations that I seem to be getting? I don't want to do to much, but not to little either. Do you think I messed up doing the 50% the other day? I have no idea what the he11 I am doing and to think I really did investigate this before I even attempted. I didn't want to kill any fish. With my bettas it is so easy, just alternate partials with 100%'s and they are happy and healthy. Why did I expect to be able to do a community?

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
I've been cycling a fish-full cycle with Gold Angels. Three weeks now and my stats look pretty good, except the part I cna't change easily (pH, gH, kH all high)
I had a nasty bloom though, thought someone had dumped milk in my tank while I was at work. Lasted one day, then back to clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store