Still sick after treatment?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA

I got this Molly from a tank full of sick feeder mosquito fish. It's been in a 10 gallon QT tank with two cichlid fry and a mosquito fish from the same tank, and two platys from a different source.

All fish have been in QT since the 5th of this month, it's the 29th now.

They've been treated with Nitrofurazone Green for a full 10 days and Kanamycin for almost 30 days now. I've also cranked the heater up to 80 degrees F.

They get a 25% water change every day before med time. And they have live plants to hopefully help with biowaste chemicals.

Anyways, this Molly has this white bump on the head that looks like ich, and a white cloudiness on the tail. She's also skinny. When I first got her; she looked misshapen and deformed, so I thought tuberculosis and that's why I'm doing the 30 day treatment of Kanamycin. But her stomach is still such a straight line, no rounded shape at all. And she is eating some.

I'm not sure what to do now. A different parasite med? Another round of the Nitro Green?

My meds aren't expired. They're pretty fresh.

The female platy in the same tank has some of end of her tail and dorsal fin moth eaten. None of the others have this, not even the male platy.

I don't get why she'd have fin rot with all the treatment and cleanings. All I can think of is that she's kind of a jerk, and got nipped a time or two, but again, no other fish have the same fin issue. And in nearly a month, it's still not healed.

The mosquito fish, male platy, and two cichlids are looking and acting fantastic.

I'm not keen on salt. Especially since the cichlids come from Malawi (just got them IDed so I know now they don't belong in the same parameters as the other fish, but I'm cycling a tank for them).

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
What are the water parameters?

I dont see a white spot that looks like ich.

All I can see from the video is a slightly thin Molly. One that is pretty active too. If it were me, I'd get her away from the cichlids and the male platy and see if her tail begins to heal. Mbuna, even juvies, are pretty nippy. And so are male live bearers.

If you do keep them together, mbuna like high salinity. My stock sit at about 1 tbls/5 gallons.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
The cichlids are Haps.

What's the white spot on her head?

I need to get new kh and gh tests, but pH is 6.8, Ammonia is 0, so are nitrite and nitrates. I'm not dosing ferts in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store