Stingray and a stocking question??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
People fit in closets too, that doesn't mean you'd want to live in one ;)

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
i agree with jaysn that would be like you living in your bedroom and not being able to leave and on top of that you have 2 other people living with you and a few dogs and some cats and a bird... how would you feel about that... i would like to own a ray but will only do so if i have at least a 240 gal

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
First of all, I'm not having a go, I dont know much about stingrays, so I'm reading this with great interest.

A quote from one of your links:

Notes
Stingrays are aptly named, they carry a vicious sting on their tail and if cornered they will use it and they are faster than you!!! Make sure that you avoid using bare hands in a Stingrays aquarium. Rays are delicate fish which demand the best water quality. They need a lot of uncluttered floor space and soft fine substrate to bury themselves in. Normal aquarium remedies are extremely toxic to Rays so all tank mates must undergo a period of quarantine to prevent the introduction of a fatal disease. If the water is less than perfect Rays will fall victim to a bacterial disease. Don't underestimate their size or rate of growth, they need a large aquarium and nothing else will suffice.

So, your aware of the substrate issue and your aware of the venom. I'm worried your going to end up in a bad way when you put the substrate in. The fish is bound to feel threatened?

Secondly, guys, it really feels like everyone is attacking this guy for having this fish in a 180. The links support his argument, can we please explain the reasoning nehind it not being suitable for everyones benefit?

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
I heard that 180 gallon was ok for my ray so i picked one up and now im being told that it is way to small what do you all think? hes about 6 inches now?
thanks
Mike

Welcome to Aquaticpreditors!!!!!

When it comes to rays, don't think in terms of gallons. Always think in terms of footprint of the tank.
P. hystrix grows to about 16". A single specimen will do fine in a 24" deep (front to back) 180. Multiple rays, such as a breeding pair, should have enough space to not overlap each other while roaming the tank. So, a 30" deep tank will be the norm. The length of the tank should be at least twice the ray's adult overall length (including tail)

Thats coming from an expert at aquadicpredators that actually keeps hystrix so you know what guys everyone has there own opinion and you know what im sure you guys have big fish in even a 200 gallon thats to small cause the nature is free roaming in the wild.My LFS has 2 white tipped reef sharks in a 900 gallon tank you cant tell me they feel at home with that can you and there about 31/2 to 4 feet so you know what guys everyone is different I just asked a question i did research before i bought the fish and tank it wasnt an impusle buy i spoke with people and they said the same thing its big enough

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Wow, do you get any algae problems with the large windows right there?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
first of all my tank is big enough do some research on hystrix stingrays and you will see your self. did you want me to post some links there are several i can post that say that it is big enough I can post at least 20!!!!! second you might be right the ray might eat whatever it can fit in the mouth but he hasnt and ive had him for several months along with these fish so until now the only casuallty ive had is a clown loach in a power filter

Well, I'm guessing your stingary is small right now, and let me tell you, the older they are, the more agressive they get.

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
o for sure im not doubting you right now I can hand feed him worms for now the wife wanted all the other fish so I just made her happy

nate da fishman

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
you came here for advice, so take some and listen becasue ost of these people have been keeping fish for their whole life.

nate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store