stocking a 28 U.S gallon (105 litre) aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fisheyfishey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2019
I currently have a nano 5 gallon tank that i’ve had for a month now with 6 small neon tetras, 2 male guppies and 3 peppered corydoras. i know it is overstocked however they are all still small. i am planning on upgrading to a 105 litre and i need to advice on what to get which include my current ones. i was hoping to get a dwarf gourami in the new tank somehow, any suggestions?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

I would add 3 or 4 corys of the same species, they're more fun in a group. & the dwarf gourami & call it good until they grow...you MAY eventually add a couple more neons but wait to see how things go. It may be good enough & easier to maintain than a more heavily stocked tank. It's good you're thinking of adult size fish.

Will you have plants? Live plants are better, prettier & add to the tank's ecosystem. We can suggest some easy 1s (I belong to a plant club & encourage at least some in all tanks, lol).

Will you be keeping the 5g too? I have some suggestions there too...after you use it to quarantine each new species of fish. This is very important if you can possibly run both tanks for a few months. I understand not everyone has room for 2 tanks...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would move the cycled filter from you 5g with all the fish & plants at 1 time, that will ensure their safety without needing to cycle the new larger tank as a separate issue. Just test ammonia etc for a while to make sure. It should be fine.

Yes, I know many want as heavily stocked tank with as many species as possible & you can find justification for it online. But the minimum of each of several species will not be as rewarding, interesting, or sustainable long term.

Ember tetras are tiny, they would be good as a larger group in your 5g once you get done adding more corys, neons & a gourami with QT to the new tank. Neons seem very mellow but they are tetras & may pick on smaller fish. Neons are twice as large as embers...both would be better in 8-10 groups & I think both with the guppies, gourami & corys would be too many fish.

Not to bash other posters on other forums but I noticed most had not much more than 1 year's experience...it can take most of a year for even small fish to reach adult size...& then what? Try to correct problems? Rehome fish? Just go slow & you won't have address that. It's always good to have a back up plan...

fisheyfishey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2019
I would move the cycled filter from you 5g with all the fish & plants at 1 time, that will ensure their safety without needing to cycle the new larger tank as a separate issue. Just test ammonia etc for a while to make sure. It should be fine.

Yes, I know many want as heavily stocked tank with as many species as possible & you can find justification for it online. But the minimum of each of several species will not be as rewarding, interesting, or sustainable long term.

Ember tetras are tiny, they would be good as a larger group in your 5g once you get done adding more corys, neons & a gourami with QT to the new tank. Neons seem very mellow but they are tetras & may pick on smaller fish. Neons are twice as large as embers...both would be better in 8-10 groups & I think both with the guppies, gourami & corys would be too many fish.

Not to bash other posters on other forums but I noticed most had not much more than 1 year's experience...it can take most of a year for even small fish to reach adult size...& then what? Try to correct problems? Rehome fish? Just go slow & you won't have address that. It's always good to have a back up plan...
Thanks for the advice of moving all of them at the same time! that would’ve taken ages, i have been using a stock calculator and this is what i have at the moment
8 neon
8 ember
8 peppered cory
1 pearl gourami
2 guppies
2 balloon mollys
(yes i put in the wrong Dimensions because the meterage wasn’t the cordimensions because the amount of litre wasn’t correct). in my research it doesn’t say anything about embers and neons not being together. i could always put one in one tank and one in the other.

25460520-79B4-427B-97D2-876B16809A9D.png

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Like I said, you can find any amount of overstocking options online...& they're just that, overstocked.

Balloon fish of any species are anathema to all of us who want healthy sustainable fish. Their internal organs are stuffed into shortened bodies. They won't live as long as "normal" fish...by a long shot! Do some more research on these pathetic creatures & vote NO.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store