Stocking a 75 Gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aahhsin

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
The angels will eat the neons. So choose either or.

That said, I'll still get rid of the angels. They're very territorial and tend to kill each other even if it is a 75 gallon tank, especially when they pair up. Mollies are considered brackish, so it's up to you.

I would personally get rid of the angels, and buy 50 neon tetras so you can see a cloud of fish. And one a gorami that looks like it's hunting them. Or a rainbow shark

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
I say do a nice group of 6 angels (if angels are your thing)
going along with that, I'd also throw in 6 pearl gourami's and then some sort of school of fish (I like rainbows personally and I would do 6-8 of those or you could do like 12 of some sort of tetra) and then a few small plant safe pleco's or ottos or something, maybe add a few mystery snails as well
it also depends upon your filtration and the look you are going for, I personally find myself with tanks that are stocked rather heavily just cause I feel like I have the issue of not enough tanks for all the things I want lol, but I manage to keep everything growing and healthy so I'm not overly concerned, and I don't have aggression issues because everyone keeps themselves in check.
I have a 75 gallon planted as well that has 6 angels (3 grown, 3 growing), a full grown blood parrot, 5 pearl goruami's, 3 rainbow cichlids (tbh, I'm not sure what I want to do with them, I might get rid of one of just replace them with something else or just remove them all together and just keep them, I'll decide that over time though), a geophagus brasiliensis, an endli bichir, an albino senegalus bichir, and a pleco that I can't positively id that has maxed out at 7" and lets all my plants survive. Also, mystery and trumpet snails galore.

however, I am running a a lot of fast growing plants and am making this a high tech set-up
I also have 2 eheim 2217's on this bad boy, and my water reads well, only issue is a lot of floating debree but I blame the fact that my gravel gets turned so frequently by the fish just swimming around near it. That and maybe I need more flow or to play with my intake's location but that's another story lol. I also am doing 50% water changes weekly, have gotten away with less however, but I'd like to make sure it happens weekly that way when this goes full blow high tech (i have the lights for hi tech and will be buying the ferts soon, but CO2 will sadly have to wait :() I want it to be run like clockwork

monicatetra

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
The angels will eat the neons. So choose either or.

That said, I'll still get rid of the angels. They're very territorial and tend to kill each other even if it is a 75 gallon tank, especially when they pair up. Mollies are considered brackish, so it's up to you.

I would personally get rid of the angels, and buy 50 neon tetras so you can see a cloud of fish. And one a gorami that looks like it's hunting them. Or a rainbow shark
50 neons ?? Sounds like a lot.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ive heard you can do neons with angels if you get the angels young. i would definently get angels over tetras.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
ive heard you can do neons with angels if you get the angels young. i would definently get angels over tetras.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Angels will start to eat the neons as soon as the angels are big enough. Just the way nature works. "growing them up together" doesn't work...if it did, there wouldn't be any angelfish in the wild and there would be lots and lots of neons.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

psdavidson

AC Members
May 6, 2012
I have a 4 inch angel and 2 bala's and tossed in 2 donor neons from a 2gal tank some one was taking down. The angel never bothers them. This is in a 75 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
In the wild, neons are a favorite food for angels. In an aquarium, it comes down to the individual fish. Some will eat smaller fish and some won't. Also they are very aggressive during a spawn. That can't be emphasized enough. Angels are anything but, the name belies their behavior.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store