Stocking a 75 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
I am still a beginner and want to know what fish I should keep in my tank.
I already have ideas o what fish to keep:
Severums
Green Terrors
African butterflyfish
Archer fish
Rainbowfish
Black Ghost Knife
Firemouth Cichlids
Some sort of pleco
Tiger Barbs

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I have made my comments on your list in bold:

Severums: a pair would be ok with some tiger barbs, and one of the smaller pleco species (bristlenose, clowns etc), but not with any others on your list.
Green Terrors: At max size of 10+ inches you could only keep one of these fish and you would be basically at full capacity of your tank
African butterflyfish: a small group would be compatible with a few schooling fish, some cories and a smaller pleco. Instead of cories you could probably do the ghost knife.
Archer fish: a brackish water fish, if you do this fish (which most people suggest should be kept in a tank with a larger footprint) then none of the other fish you have listed would be acceptable tank mates
Rainbowfish: depending on the species would be acceptable.
Black Ghost Knife: would be acceptable, but due to size and temperment differences I would not keep it with any of the cichlids you list
Firemouth Cichlids: relatively peaceful and would be compatible with both rainbowfish and larger tiger barbs
Some sort of pleco: look for the smaller species, bristlenose, clowns, rubber lips etc.
Tiger Barbs: sturdy enough to go with the severums, rainbowfish or firemouths, but might be too nippy to keep with the BGK

If you want the most variety and color I would go with:

The rainbows, the barbs, and a couple of firemouths as well as a bristlenose pleco and maybe some cories, depending on stocking numbers.

If you go with the Green Terror or the Archer you're likely looking at a single species tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Well, looks like Tiff has said it all. :)

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
does this stocking work:
2 African butterfly fish
2 black ghost knife
8 marbled hatchetfish
2 super red bristle nose pleco
2 pairs of discus
1 pair of angelfish
6 corydoras
1 pair GBR
6 rummy-nose tetras
I am going to get a 125 gallon external canister filter for it as well as a sponge filter

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
That is WAY over stocked for that size tank. Filtration is not the issue, its floor space. There are also a few problems.

Butterfly fish should be kept singly or in groups larger than 3.

BGK should not be kept in pairs, as this can cause stress and a 75 gallon tank is not big enough for two of them at adult size anyway.

Your tank is not big enough for discus and angels IMO also I don't think the water parameters that some of your other mentioned fish like will be suitable for discus.

I would suggest looking at this list and picking the fish that you HAVE TO HAVE and then modelling your stocking around that fish. But IMO the list you have in mind will not work for this size tank.

brodysfish

AC Members
Aug 3, 2016
The fish I have to have are:
1 pair green severums
1 pair gold severums
4 African butterfly fish
6 marbled hatchetfish

I would like to be able to have more fish in this tank so any suggestions for other fish
(I would rather a couple exotics than a bunch of commons but if I cant do that any fish are welcome as suggestions.)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
1 pair green severums
1 pair gold severums
4 African butterfly fish
6 marbled hatchetfish

No, I'm sorry but it won't work :( The pair of severums will be big polluters of your water by themselves, eat your hatchets or drive them out, and stress those butterfly fish to no end. It's a matter of fish coming from different regions, needing different tank sizes, and specific water requirements. Is this your first aquarium, by the way?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Agreed with the above. You're going to have to pick from that list, which one you want in this tank because they can't go together for the reasons stated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store