Stocking advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Canon Eos 450d, GoPro and my phone camera
I'm looking at getting dwarf gourami, a betta imbellis female/male pair and some dumbo guppies.
I've read that gouramis and bettas can be aggressive towards each other but my first question is can I keep these in the same tank?
How many dwarf gourami (and at what gender ratios) could I/ should I keep in a 65/70L tank along with how many guppies? (is it possible to keep a bachelor group?) and the imbellis pair.

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
I would not recommend the gourami with bettas. b.imbellis are much peaceful where the gourami might be more on the aggressive side. U may try the guppies with imbellis but am no too sure :)
Yeah, I think I will. Thanks. :) Though I have gotten an interest in keeping gouramis lately, bettas are just too cute and they're personalities are the best. Since imbellis are more on the peaceful side I might have better luck getting some really chill individuals like my betta splendens, should work out nicely with any other fish..

Yeah, main reason I asked about the stocking is that I'm worried about overstocking the aquarium, that and I find some of the stuff that I read about it a bit confusing.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Veiltail guppies can be a problem with bettas, because the betta may see the wide tail and mistake it for a displaying rival. I don't know about B. imbellis though. A pair of dwarf gouramis is okay as long as the female has plenty of cover. Females are a bland silvery gray color I guess I'd call it, so if you're not planning on breeding them I'd suggest just a lone male. Anymore it seems like the only thing I ever see are males, probably because nobody ever wanted to buy a female because they're bland.

I haven't even bought a dwarf gourami since DGIR showed up on the scene about 10, maybe 15 years ago now. It's a viral disease that became very prominent in dwarf gouramis and for which there is no cure. It's kind of like neon tetra disease for dwarf gouramis, but doesn't seem to affect most other species at all. It kind of showed up and after it did it seemed I couldn't keep dwarfs for anything, even though in the past I'd had males make bubble nests all the time.

Does anybody know if the gouramis bred today have developed any resistance?

WYite

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
Veiltail guppies can be a problem with bettas, because the betta may see the wide tail and mistake it for a displaying rival. I don't know about B. imbellis though. A pair of dwarf gouramis is okay as long as the female has plenty of cover. Females are a bland silvery gray color I guess I'd call it, so if you're not planning on breeding them I'd suggest just a lone male. Anymore it seems like the only thing I ever see are males, probably because nobody ever wanted to buy a female because they're bland.

I haven't even bought a dwarf gourami since DGIR showed up on the scene about 10, maybe 15 years ago now. It's a viral disease that became very prominent in dwarf gouramis and for which there is no cure. It's kind of like neon tetra disease for dwarf gouramis, but doesn't seem to affect most other species at all. It kind of showed up and after it did it seemed I couldn't keep dwarfs for anything, even though in the past I'd had males make bubble nests all the time.

Does anybody know if the gouramis bred today have developed any resistance?

WYite
Ah yeah, I've heard of that. That really sucks...
So you can keep a dwarf male by itself? Good to know.

Yeah, I'll try and avoid the longer tail guppies, haven't really had a good look at them but was wanting some dumbo guppies, hopefully I could get some with a shorter tail and hopefully their pectoral fins don't intimidate the imbellis.

So do you think it's possible to keep a bachelor group of guppies or would they be too stressed without the 1 male per every 2 females?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've never kept males without females, so I don't know. Without any females to fight over they may be fine. I know it works with male mbuna; they don't fight as much without females and you can keep two or three males of a species together, with a bunch of males from other species in an all-male tank.

Have you thought about platies? I much prefer them even if they are a little larger. The females are as colorful as males and IME if your m:f ratio gets thrown off a bit, the males aren't as big of buttheads as guppies. IMO platies are way underrated.

WYite

Reactions: PurpleGem

PurpleGem

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
Camera Used
I've never kept males without females, so I don't know. Without any females to fight over they may be fine. I know it works with male mbuna; they don't fight as much without females and you can keep two or three males of a species together, with a bunch of males from other species in an all-male tank.

Have you thought about platies? I much prefer them even if they are a little larger. The females are as colorful as males and IME if your m:f ratio gets thrown off a bit, the males aren't as big of buttheads as guppies. IMO platies are way underrated.

WYite
I guess they are yeah. My parents kept platies ages ago, haven't really thought much about them though as I haven't really seen very interesting varieties of platies here. That and I just love those elephant eared fish. ?
Yeah, I'll check them out but I want to give the guppies a try first, probably go with the m:f ratio instead. I tried a trio of male endlers and one of them went missing and all they did was flare at each other all day and a bit too much, they calmed down with the females.

Have done some reading and considering getting a pair of Betta mahachaiensis instead of the imbellis as they're also peaceful and can be kept together apparently, plus I saw some really nice ones on 7 fishes.

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store