Stocking advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sstev

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
Hi all, looking for some stocking advice. I have a 144l tank, Fluval U4 filter, with the following:
2x honey gourami
2x dwarf gourami
1x platy
12x cardinal tetras
1x pleco.

Am I able to add any more or will I be overstocked? If I am able, I would like like as much colour as possible, and suggestions with what might work with the group?! Thanks!

Last edited:

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Hi and Welcome to AC!

Can you also post the dimensions of your tank and if it is rectangular, square or some other shape?

Sstev

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks! A bit new to the aquarium game so really appreciate any help!

It's rectangular, L: 80cm D:30cm, H:50cm

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, welcome!

Do you have or plan to have plants? Preferably real but fake is ok. Are the gouramis male & female pairs? I'm a little worried the smaller honeys will be in trouble from the dwarfs. Plants would help break up the sight lines.

What species of pleco? Bristle noses get to ~4 inches (10cm) & is a good choice. Clown plecs are ~3 inches, pretty but mostly nocturnal. Some "common" plecs grow to 8 or even 18+ inches. If you don't know post a pic & we'll help.

Really, it looks to me like you're pretty well stocked with a nice colorful tank. We love to see pics! How long have you had your tank set up & are the fish adults?

Sprinkle, it sounds like Sstev already has the fish...

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
The dwarf gourami can be quite aggressive - I'd drop them completely to be safe if not than at least one of them. If you already own them well i guess cross your fingers. Fyi: The bn can get up to 5 inches but can be quite bulky. There is a wide variance in adult size with the more exotic ones generally being smaller (lemon, super red, starlight, ...) though I have one lemon that is at least 4 1/2 and a plain mail bn that is probably pushing 5 inches.
-
Honey gourami are super peaceful but prefer to be in larger groups - so adding one or two more in exchange for the dwarf would be a good route.
-
Clown pleco are small and L204 are wee bit smaller.
-
In all honestly I would get 8 to 12 otto and drop the pleco - the otto in large groups can be a lot of fun.
-
If you already have the fishes I would not add anything else for at least 8 weeks to see how the fishes react to each other. Also your tank is a bit high with little floor space so i'm not sure i would add too much more in the upper area of the tank but something else at the bottom is probably feasible. Maybe pygmy cory (6) or kuhli loaches (6+) but i'd be careful....

Last edited:

Sstev

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
Yes, welcome!

Do you have or plan to have plants? Preferably real but fake is ok. Are the gouramis male & female pairs? I'm a little worried the smaller honeys will be in trouble from the dwarfs. Plants would help break up the sight lines.

What species of pleco? Bristle noses get to ~4 inches (10cm) & is a good choice. Clown plecs are ~3 inches, pretty but mostly nocturnal. Some "common" plecs grow to 8 or even 18+ inches. If you don't know post a pic & we'll help.

Really, it looks to me like you're pretty well stocked with a nice colorful tank. We love to see pics! How long have you had your tank set up & are the fish adults?

Sprinkle, it sounds like Sstev already has the fish...
Hiya! Thanks for your message. It's been up and running for about a year and have had no problems with the gourami fighting. Unfortunately poor pet shop advice meant I had them all so have been monitoring them a lot, but they seem to get on fine!

I have been gradually planting over the past 6 months, so it does have 5/6 live plants in but might add more!

Sstev

Registered Member
Apr 3, 2021
The dwarf gourami can be quite aggressive - I'd drop them completely to be safe if not than at least one of them. If you already own them well i guess cross your fingers. Fyi: The bn can get up to 5 inches but can be quite bulky. There is a wide variance in adult size with the more exotic ones generally being smaller (lemon, super red, starlight, ...) though I have one lemon that is at least 4 1/2 and a plain mail bn that is probably pushing 5 inches.
-
Honey gourami are super peaceful but prefer to be in larger groups - so adding one or two more in exchange for the dwarf would be a good route.
-
Clown pleco are small and L204 are wee bit smaller.
-
In all honestly I would get 8 to 12 otto and drop the pleco - the otto in large groups can be a lot of fun.
-
If you already have the fishes I would not add anything else for at least 8 weeks to see how the fishes react to each other. Also your tank is a bit high with little floor space so i'm not sure i would add too much more in the upper area of the tank but something else at the bottom is probably feasible. Maybe pygmy cory (6) or kuhli loaches (6+) but i'd be careful....
Hiya, thanks so much for all your advice. Some poor pet shop advice meant I have all the gourami together but they have been fine so far, we're about a year into having them so ???he's a bristle nose, again I was poorly advised that I should get him to keep the algae down, so I may look at rehoming him!.

Thanks so much for your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store