Stocking ideas for 46g Bow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
So long as the dwarf cichlids don't harass the shrimp or bite off its antennas, it will do fine. I have mine in with a Ctenopoma Acutirostre and it kind of watches the shrimp like it's curious, but otherwise ignores it. Make sure to give it lots of good hiding spots as its kind of shy, and it needs a safe place to molt, as they are very vulnerable after a molt when their new exoskeleton is still soft.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Most dwarf cichlids won't harm the shrimp, even baby ones, as they are either hiding, or swimming around. Maybe while breeding, but prob. not, I like those tetras too, but opicana seems to really want some type of neon one, like the greens.

Opicana

AC Members
May 13, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
Welcome back to the hobby and the forums!!

I like the idea of the stocking suggestion but I see a lot of water requirement conflicts there and predation issues.
Thanks!

I'm aware that snails and shrimp don't usually dwell together due to the difference it water conditions. I think my water is slightly hard...just slightly, I think. I'd prefer shrimp over snails, are there shrimps that do well in slightly hard water? Hmm...guess I should run a test on my tap water. I'd rather go with something that works best for my water, so I don't need to make adjustments. I've had cories, mystery snails, and rams all successfully in my water. I've never had shrimp or neons.

I'm not particularly fond of neons, but my other half really likes them. I knew neons are sensitive- are green neons even more sensitive? We could go with either.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
Nope, slightly hard water. My water here is on the hard side, and maybe 7.5 Ph and mine does great. They need the calcium in hard water to make sure their exoskeleton is nice and strong.

Opicana

AC Members
May 13, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
Nope, slightly hard water. My water here is on the hard side, and maybe 7.5 Ph and mine does great. They need the calcium in hard water to make sure their exoskeleton is nice and strong.
Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to run a test on my tap water and see where I'm at, and then I will post back here and we can tweak the stocking. :)

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Glad you are back in the fold.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Thanks!

I'm aware that snails and shrimp don't usually dwell together due to the difference it water conditions. I think my water is slightly hard...just slightly, I think. I'd prefer shrimp over snails, are there shrimps that do well in slightly hard water? Hmm...guess I should run a test on my tap water. I'd rather go with something that works best for my water, so I don't need to make adjustments. I've had cories, mystery snails, and rams all successfully in my water. I've never had shrimp or neons.

I'm not particularly fond of neons, but my other half really likes them. I knew neons are sensitive- are green neons even more sensitive? We could go with either.
Yes, green neons are more sensitive, but if you keep up with ur WCs, and have kept fish before, they will be fine:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store