Stocking ideas for 75

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YaelElMatador

Registered Member
Oct 2, 2021
Hello, I have a 75 where I will rehome my Pleco(might be a common, I found him abandoned so I don't know). I was planning on having a school of silver dollars, a blood parrot cichlid and some sort of eel like fish such as a ropefish.

I was wondering if this will be alright or what has to change.

I am open to other stocking ideas with a preference to catfish and crustaceans but am open to all ideas

I have:
Fluval FX4 Canister filter
Sponge filter as an addition
Sand substrate

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Honestly those fish need larger. Silver dollars should be in 100g+

If you like catfish, you've got lots of options.

A group of 6 hoplosternum catfish such as megalechis thoracata would be fun fish for you.

Or maybe something a little more skulky, like a spotted Raphael... be mindful of keeping only larger tetras or such with these though, they can prey on smaller ones at night.

Or a group of upside down catfish.

Or a giant group of corydoras, usually can't go wrong with those.

A trio of pictus catfish?

If cichlids are an idea for you:

A pair or harem of apistogramma or rams
A group of corydoras
A school of diamond tetras

Would make a really nice mix in your tank size...

Ropefish get pretty large as well, don't really recommend for a 75g, it's iffy. I'd go larger even for them.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Agreed. A 75g opens up a lot of options, but I would skip most of what you list if you plan to keep a common pleco in there. That will be a massive bio load as it is.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hello, I have a 75 where I will rehome my Pleco(might be a common, I found him abandoned so I don't know). I was planning on having a school of silver dollars, a blood parrot cichlid and some sort of eel like fish such as a ropefish.

I was wondering if this will be alright or what has to change.

I am open to other stocking ideas with a preference to catfish and crustaceans but am open to all ideas

I have:
Fluval FX4 Canister filter
Sponge filter as an addition
Sand substrate
Instead of a rope fish I’d do a Senegal bichir, they can potentially get to 13-15 inches, but most captive ones, especially albinos, max out around 8” or grow extremely slowly after that. You could have a couple sens in a 75
I would also do something like Columbian tetra instead ofsilver dollars
You would just have to be mindful to make sure the sens get food since a pack of Columbian tetra are fast eaters. I think the BP would most likely be ok with these as well
And here’s a wild caught sen I had, captive bred rarely get close to this size

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
Instead of a rope fish I’d do a Senegal bichir, they can potentially get to 13-15 inches, but most captive ones, especially albinos, max out around 8” or grow extremely slowly after that. You could have a couple sens in a 75
I would also do something like Columbian tetra instead ofsilver dollars
You would just have to be mindful to make sure the sens get food since a pack of Columbian tetra are fast eaters. I think the BP would most likely be ok with these as well
And here’s a wild caught sen I had, captive bred rarely get close to this size
I would like to add this -

Most Captive Bred Senegal’s will max out at 8”. I’ve seen ones at 11, but none over. Delhezi‘s are another option. Mine is maxed out at 11”, but most get 13-15“. Mokèlé-Mbèmbé Bichirs are another option. They will max out around 13”. But they grow VERY SLOW.

Congo Tetras are a great option. Heres what I would do:

Congo River Biotype with:
1 Delhezi Bichir
2 Captive bred Senegals
perhaps if biweekly wc, 1 Mokèlé
and 12 Congo Tetras.

You are looking at weekly water changes of 70% IMO. Biweekly if you can do it.

Reactions: FishAddict74

The Masked Shadow

AC Members
Feb 17, 2021
Oh, and Mokèlé-Mbèmbé Bichirs tend to be around 200 dolars

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store