Stocking Ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good insights, TL, As I said, I've never kept flagtails etc, but would like to someday. Loaches have a way getting in the way best of my plans, lol.

In my last 2 big market areas I've lived (+ a smaller 1) I"ve seen maybe a total 4 or 5 at most of flagtails & hoplos each, total, over almost 40 years. Where are you getting your fish from? I need to know!!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's been 15 years since I had flagtails... got them for free from a wholesaler who wanted to get rid of them because they didn't sell. Oddly enough not a popular fish while it is very suited to be kept. But most folks want impossible fish like iridescent sharks and goldfish. If you look hard enough you can still order flagtails... but they are like $20 per piece. I have portholes now... those are now bred on a small scale in the Czech republic and much cheaper.
Hoplos on the other hand aren't rare. Most wholesalers carry them. They are overlooked in shops because they are typically sold at 1" length...

There are other 'medium sized' catfish that are suited as well, those were just some that came to mind first.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've never seen 1" inch hoplos or flagtails, ever!! They're both adults or almost that I've seen.. If you see a source of juvenile flagtails can you please let me know? I would greatly appreciate it! I finally have a big "loach-less" tank, lol...for right now...

Bobby, I'm sorry we got a bit side tracked from your original post. (we do that sometimes) I'm now going to go with more readily available & "kid interesting" species for you 55g.

I (or at most 2 angels)
1 pearl gourami (or 1 male & 2 females)
12-15 Harley rasboras or similar tetras (see previous post for tetras) all the same species
1 BN pleco
8-12 corydoras, all the same species

This will get you & your kids a nice community tank to get started with, without much of any issues. We "old-timers" sometimes forget what forum were on & suggest more "advanced" or hard to find but cool fish.

But first you need to get your tank cycled. Test, test! Then add fish slowly. Good luck!

Bobby2415

AC Members
Feb 24, 2019
I've never seen 1" inch hoplos or flagtails, ever!! They're both adults or almost that I've seen.. If you see a source of juvenile flagtails can you please let me know? I would greatly appreciate it! I finally have a big "loach-less" tank, lol...for right now...

Bobby, I'm sorry we got a bit side tracked from your original post. (we do that sometimes) I'm now going to go with more readily available & "kid interesting" species for you 55g.

I (or at most 2 angels)
1 pearl gourami (or 1 male & 2 females)
12-15 Harley rasboras or similar tetras (see previous post for tetras) all the same species
1 BN pleco
8-12 corydoras, all the same species

This will get you & your kids a nice community tank to get started with, without much of any issues. We "old-timers" sometimes forget what forum were on & suggest more "advanced" or hard to find but cool fish.

But first you need to get your tank cycled. Test, test! Then add fish slowly. Good luck!
Thank you I appreciate it!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks, & back to the OP's 55g. We need to be aware this is the newbie forum. I sometimes forget that, lol...

Do you have easy suggestions for Bobby's new 55g? He(?) might get 10-12 sidthimunki (dwarf chain) loaches instead of the corys. Great fish, but a bit expensive. I love sids!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Well whether you're a newbie or not, ultimately it depends on how much you want to spend or how long you're willing to drive to get the fish you want. Maybe you're lucky and the LFS has the fish you're looking for but most often, they only have the choice between small and huge catfish.
But a bristlenose is also a 'medium sized' catfish in my book ;) they have them now in albino, gold, red and fancy tailed.
Of course I agree with Fishorama that it is better to have less species in larger schools, as opposed to the 'arch of Noah' or 'stamp collector' approach that many newbies like.

Just look at pictures to see what you like, keep asking questions. An aquarium isn't hard or time consuming if you start with the right fish species. Just realize that many fish either get too big or are incompatible.

Bobby2415

AC Members
Feb 24, 2019
Thanks, & back to the OP's 55g. We need to be aware this is the newbie forum. I sometimes forget that, lol...

Do you have easy suggestions for Bobby's new 55g? He(?) might get 10-12 sidthimunki (dwarf chain) loaches instead of the corys. Great fish, but a bit expensive. I love sids!
So I have been doing some thinking and have slightly changed my mind of what to put in the tank. I’m now thinking;

(1) Electric Blue Acara Cichlid
(1) Firemouth Cichlid
(2) Large schools (12-15?) of some sort of colorful fish.
(1) Small school of Corys.

Think that could work? If so do you have any ideas of schooling fish that the cichlids won’t eat. Possibly bleeding heart tetras and some sort of barb?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I've kept acaras & firemouths together, 1 pair each in a 55g. Not the best, the acaras took up 2/3 of the tank & FMs 1/3. But you may be ok with 1 of each.

As for other fish, I don't know. Cichlids are territorial when breeding & almost bottom fish. But if you have only 1 of each cichlid, "maybe" corys would be ok. Corys don't really understand the territory thing, they mosey all over the bottom.

Just guessing, but a larger tetra like diamonds might be ok. I don't think you have room for 2 cichlids, corys & diamonds. So pick either 6 tetras or 6 corys & hope for the best.

Will you have plants? That can help break up sightlines & create territories. Java ferns are very easy...

Bobby2415

AC Members
Feb 24, 2019
Well, I've kept acaras & firemouths together, 1 pair each in a 55g. Not the best, the acaras took up 2/3 of the tank & FMs 1/3. But you may be ok with 1 of each.

As for other fish, I don't know. Cichlids are territorial when breeding & almost bottom fish. But if you have only 1 of each cichlid, "maybe" corys would be ok. Corys don't really understand the territory thing, they mosey all over the bottom.

Just guessing, but a larger tetra like diamonds might be ok. I don't think you have room for 2 cichlids, corys & diamonds. So pick either 6 tetras or 6 corys & hope for the best.

Will you have plants? That can help break up sightlines & create territories. Java ferns are very easy...
So I went ahead and got 9 giant danios (supposed to be 8 but they accidentally got 9). Waiting until next paycheck and then I’ll get a blue acara and Firemouth. I’m also thinking of getting a small Bala Shark. When the shark gets bigger I will be about ready to upgrade my tank anyway.

I do have some fake plants, as well as a piece of wood, a good size Castle, and some rocks. I would post a picture of the tank but when I try it says the picture size is too big.

Thanks for the advise!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store