Stocking ideas!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
Hello ?

I’ve got a 180l tank. It’s got an external 1000l p/hr filter. Partially planted. Here’s a picture. I’m well chuffed with it, took a few weeks to reseal and build it as an upgrade from a smaller 60-70l tank.
The occupants are around 20 odd guppies of various ages (from newborn to full grown). Two 1” bristlenose. 6 platinum tetra. My favourites which are 3 vampire shrimp ?☺ Two wood shrimp and two little cherry shrimp

Are there any suggestions for stocking (when we can get out and purchase!!)?

water ph is around 6, on the soft side.

I might be interested in a pair of apistogrammas or rams. Some more shrimp. Half a dozen neon or cardinal tetra.

would any more than one pair of South American cichlids be a bad idea?

how about two or three female Bettas?

Do folk agree it’s reasonably stocked already or is there room for a bit more variety?

Thank you ! ?

image.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, even dwarf cichlids will likely eat the small shrimp & might nip the larger 1s. Bettas, even females, usually pick on guppies. Neons would work, they like a lower temp. than cardinals so a better choice with the guppies. Get say, 8+.

You might consider a group of dwarf corydoras. Pygmys are more midwater swimmers, habrosus are more bottom only fish. Either would be better with 8 or even 12 of the same species. Pick just 1 species & get a bunch! If you have never kept corys they're very active & amusing but won't harm your other animals IME.

Reactions: CichlidFins

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You know you have to target feed your vampire/bamboo shrimp? You probably want at least 1 betta to eat some of the guppy fry. Cardinals or neons at the very least 8... but do not mix.

Reactions: CichlidFins

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I would say some honey gourami, a trio of 2 females to 1 male, in place of the betta idea.

Theyre more peaceful and theyd happily snack on some fry. Theyre also more adept for the cooler temperatures the others in your tank need than a betta (bettas do better 78F+)

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
I know it’s good for population control but I’m a bit adverse to the fry being munched on ?

I’m definitely liking the idea of a busy little group of corys, along with the colour flash of the neons or cardinals.

I guess I’ll have to pass on the female betta or the apistos - as beautiful as they are, I don’t want any of the current inhabitants peaceful life disrupted! ?

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
Spotted the lone cherry shrimp this morning, first time since they moved. Caught it in a pic with one of the vampire shrimp on the shelf behind. And then the little chocolate guy made an appearance too ☺339DD7B5-B18A-4B24-BC06-3095F543C7EA.jpeg
248BC6C9-6EC6-43A5-8FB2-7B23447B49CE.jpeg650C4506-8E3D-4A0A-AD38-46A09D3C0BE8.jpeg

Reactions: NoodleCats

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
You should try tiger barbs. they are very active and look cool

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store