Stocking levels for 33gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sdb

AC Members
May 4, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I'm heading to the LFS tomorrow to stock, and I'm worried about overstocking. It's a 33gal, planted, AC300, fishless cycled, PH 7.
This is what the store has that I'm interested in. Any advice with compatiblities and stocking numbers would be appreciated. :) I'm looking for a fun, peaceful, community tank with some color and interest.

Pearl/zebra/leopard danios
Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry barbs
Serpae tetras
Rosy tetras
White clouds (not sure)
Tiger barbs (maybe not, I've read they can be nippy)

I want to add some cories, but the LFS didn't get any in this time :rolleyes: , so I'll have to add them at a later date.
I know I can't get all of them, but that's what's available to choose from to make a nice tank (hopefully).
I would like to add the danios and serpaes for sure for the simple reason that I've got 2 of each in my 20 gal that I want to move to the 33g and add to.

Thanks for any info!

justinb013

AC Members
May 25, 2004
ATL
Visit site
sdb said:
I'm looking for a fun, peaceful, community tank with some color and interest.

Pearl/zebra/leopard danios
Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry barbs
Serpae tetras
Rosy tetras
White clouds (not sure)
Tiger barbs (maybe not, I've read they can be nippy)
The danios will certainly add some movement and keep things interesting. Serpaes should be fine. I like white clouds- they are inexpensive, pretty, peaceful little fish. Tiger barbs, on the other hand, I deplore, as they are VERY nippy and will harass most of your peaceful fish. I wouldn't put much more than 10-12 total of your listed fish in that size tank, but you can get away with some overstocking as you've got pretty good filtration.

nickbuter

nickbuter
Oct 27, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
Tiger Barbs: might work with your desired fish, do however make sure you keep 5 or more. Tiger groups will greatly reduce there overall agressivness towards the other fish. Do keep in mind purchasing tigers are always a risk, there's always a chance of getting an overly nasty bunch.

Danios: will definatley bring lots of activity to your tank. very fast moving, constantly active fish. Easily one of the hardiest fish I have ever kept.

Serpae Tetras: These are a very neat looking fish, also a fairly hardy tetra species. The seven serpaes in my community tank are constantly nipping at each other, especially during feedings. I haven't noticed any damage with the other fish, but there have been instances where they've done damage to the other serpaes in the group. Nothing real serious I might add.

White Clouds: I personally would stay away from. While they can survive in large variances of temperature, they do seem to strive in cooler water, usually room temperature or sometimes even colder than that.

This is what I would do:

6 tiger barbs
3 or 4 leopard danios
3 or 4 serpae tetras
3 or 4 corys
I dont see a huge problem with keeping the tigers in that set up. I haven't been into this hobby for as long as a lot of people here, so I could be wrong.

sdb

AC Members
May 4, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Well, my choices were narrowed down somewhat today when I got to the LFS. A couple of their tanks had problems overnight and were in quarantine for a couple days. It included the tiger barbs, cherry barbs, and some others. Anyways, I got a nice tankful out of it anyway. I bought 3 pearl danios, 4 harlequin rasboras, and three serpaes. Once they are in the tank a while and I feel they're healthy, I will add my existing fish and end up with:

5 danios (3 pearl, 1 zebra, 1 leopard)
5 serpaes
4 harlequins

I'll add some cories at a later date (4?), and they'll probably be peppered cories.

The tank seems so empty, even with the ten fish, but they're so small still. I'll think the tank will look nice when they've grown a bit and have some more color.
Does my stocking level seem fine? Or is it a little over/under? I wouldn't mind adding a couple cherry barbs, but not if I'm at my limit.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store