Stocking my 20 Gal. Tall Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
what about your ammonia levels ? and the dip strips arent very reliable i would suggest getting an API liquid test kit. and at this point i believe it has been what maybe 10 days ? you still wont be anywhere near cycled yet. The Nitrate wont go up till the end of the cycle and the NitrItes wont go up until the Ammonia starts going down

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
The water won't help. If you have access to an established tank, the gravel or the filter media would help alot. Just make sure you trust that the tank is safe. No disease or anything.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
You don't need conditioner if you are using distilled...but straight distilled is not well buffered and could give you trouble if your pH drops. Usually people mix RO or distilled water with tap so you have some buffers in there, or buy treatments to add the correct buffers back to the water. Here's what wikipedia says:

"Some people use distilled water for household aquariums because it lacks the chemicals found in tap water supplies. It is important to supplement distilled water when using it for fishkeeping; it is too pure to sustain proper chemistry to support an aquarium ecosystem.[SUP][6]"[/SUP]

ETA if you do end up mixing distilled and RO water, any amount of City tap water would mean you'd need to use dechlorinator again.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
Get some Seachem Prime (or other water dechlorinator that does both ammonia and chloramine, but Prime is highly preferred by forum members), and add to the tap water as per instructions before you add the new water to your tank. Or alternatively you can add the right amount to treat your whole tank volume directly to the tank before pouring the new water in.

FYI, if your water is treated with chloramine that chemical will never evaporate out and needs to be chemically removed. Aging only works if your area uses chlorine, which is increasingly rare in the US. Some water treatment plants use chlorine sometimes and chloramine at other times too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store