Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Stocking recomendations for a 120g & 250g

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by ganjero, Feb 26, 2018.

1. ganjero

ganjero Crazy about Snails

Mar 21, 2018
    Hi,
    Long time aquarist, I kept cichlids before but for the last two decades I have been keeping planted and reef tanks. Now, I am converting my two reef tanks to Cichlid tanks, and am looking for stocking recommendations for a 250g (72Lx30wx27h) and a standard 120g (48x24x24). I was thinking in doing haps and peacocks in the 250 and mbunas in the 120 or a tanganyika species only in the 120.
    I would appreciate any input and suggestions.
    Thank you,

2. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Jul 12, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    That's a lot of reef tankage to be giving up! Sounds like they are/were you last reefs, so no more reefs? *clears throat* Sorry my dark side was showing there lol.

Hm, if I kept Mbunas again I would really want a 5'+ tank for them (even though I can't have one) but I see why you want the haps in the bigger tank of course. So I'd vote for a tang tank in the 120, you'll have plenty of color in the 250 anyway. You can get a great "community" tang setup in there with rockwork on both ends and shells in the middle. My top choices would be some of the bigger shellies like brevis or ocellatus (gold is my fav) , some calvus or comps (I'm partial to the blacks or the whites) and a nice big group of cyprichromis for the open water. And there's still room for whatever else you like too. If you're not trying to breed anything then a group of syno cats would be on my list too.

For the 250...one of everything! lol Joking but it's not far off really. I'd go all male and get a huge variety.

3. ganjero

Mar 21, 2018
    Yes , no more reefs. The hurricane crashed my tank and my big coral colonies and anemones died, it was overwhelming and I don't feel like starting that again. and Thanks for the recommendations.
    So you would go on a community tang tank over mbunas for the 120? I will look in to you recommendations.
    Thanks for the input

4. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Jul 12, 2018
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    Sorry to hear that. That's rough.

I hope you share the journey for the new tanks.

5. ganjero

Mar 21, 2018
    OK the 120g is cycled and ready for fish. I have decided to make this tank an Mbuna tank. These is what I am thinking to add so far:
    - 6 synodontis multipunctatus
    The following mbunas in a ratio of 1M/4F
    - Msobo Deep Magunga (thought of Saaulosi but decided to go with Msobos)
    - Pseudo Williamsi "Blue Lips"
    - Cynotilapia Afra "Jala Reef"
    - Cynotilapia Afra "Mbewca"
    and maybe 1 o 2 of the following species
    - Pseudothropheus Acei
    - Pseudothropheus Chewere
    - Pseudothropheus Polit
    - Pseudothropheus Red Zebra - cherry Red/Metriaclima estherae red zebra (this I am not sure if is the same fish misidentified in different source, but if they are different it would be one of them to add reds)

Now the usual questions
    1. How is the compatibility of this mix?
    2. Any chaces of cross breeding between this selection
    3. How many of the optional species can I add? and which ones would you recommend taking into account the first two questions?

Thanks

6. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    Yesterday at 1:37 PM
    Mr. Normal
    Have you thought about going all male?

7. ganjero

Mar 21, 2018
    Yes, and most of the information I have found is that it is on the difficult side to keep all males. Plus, I enjoy the interaction of harems.

8. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Today at 1:55 AM
    Jessica
    I am no expert on African Cichlids, but I would not have so many different species of Mbunas together. I would go for about 4-5 species and have a ratio of 1 male to 4-5 females.
    Having just 1-2 of any of the species will cause those single males to be overly aggressive.
    The Pseudothropheus Red Zebra - cherry Red/Metriaclima estherae red zebra is a Metriaclima and not a Pseudothropheus. And the males are very aggressive. You will need 5-7 females for any male Metriaclima.
    Any Mbuna can and will cross breed (hybrid) another Mbuna, that is why you will need 4-5 females for any male. With enough of their own females to choose from the chances of them cross breeding is lowered.

9. ganjero

Mar 21, 2018
    It seems my post was not redacted well. I am planning on the first 4 species listed, and add 1 or 2 of the additional species listed in the same ratio (1m/4f)...Thanks for the info, I think I will stay away from Metriaclima.