Stocking Suggestions for a 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
Hey guys,

It's been a while. Today I cleaned up one of my old 55g tanks and I want to set it up. The problem is the creative juices are at a stand still. Working at a tropical fish farm, I've had access to nearly every mainstream fish in the hobby, throughout the years I've had tanks showcasing many of those species. I want ideas for something fresh, new, and interesting. I like the unusual when it comes to aquaria. Throw some concepts at me. Anything you can think of, predatory, community, bizarre, fascinating. Help a guy out!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Here are some ideas I have thought of
-Dwarf pufferfish (true freshwater or true brackish water)
-Fancy goldfish and gold dojo loaches
-Birchir (the smaller variety)

Sorry that's all I can think of! Hope it somewhat helps!

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
I actually have been thinking about setting up a tank with some Ranchu, I just know that when I start it will be a slippery slope and multi-tank syndrome will set in once again. I would be splitting up different varieties, breeding out strains etc.

Dwarf puffers would be cool, I just think they would be belittled in such a large tank.

Will check out what's going on with the Bichirs, last I checked the varieties commonly available got rather large.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Haha I am biased towards fantails and veiltails, but I love how golden dojo's look like little snakes! :D And MTS, why is that such a bad thing..maybe for the floor joints? j/k :)

I thought there are some that get to be like 6-8", such as the the green spotted puffer get's to be 6" there are a lot of larger puffers out there.

As for the birchirs, you probably are correct on that, I know that from a google search bichir and 55 gallon http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?288466-Bichir-for-a-55-gallon that should help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store