stocking tips for 55gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I'm going to heavily stock a 55 gal with plants. I would like to add the following:

- 10-15 cardinal or neon tetras
- 6-8 corydora catfish (unspecified species)
- xx amount of Microgeophagus Ramirez (Rams)

Question is how many Rams should I add for my main feature? I will have the cardinals for a large/dynamic school of fish, the corys for bottom feeders/personality, and want rams for the main feature. How many is going to be very uncrowded, yet showy? Also any problems with this mix? I would like conditions favorable for breeding, but this is unnecessary. I really want a friendly, beautiful show tank community. This will be an open top tank with plants growing out of the top, btw. I know I may occasionally lose a fish without a top, but I'm going for a scenic, healthy, and happy environment.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
hey sump....

like your thinkin...
sounds like a bloody good set up:D

from what i've read(i intend to have them one day...)
you are best going for a single pair....maybe in a 55 you'll be able to go for 2?(anyone??)

remember rams are very sensitive to water conditions\changes,..... go for the bolivian spec...
and you'll need low ph.....6.5(?)

as for the cories....
how about Corydoras jullii or cory. paleatus???

and the neons, go for black neons...i have six in a 5g...i'd love to see a large school in a bigger set-up

good luck, keep us informed....

:D :D

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
I would say no more than 6 Rams but 4 is better if you want to breed them. That's 2 or 3 pairs. Get an even number of each sex and let them pair off. They are territorial but given enough plants, driftwood, etc, they'll have more than enough room for each.

Cardinal Tetras and Cories will be fine with either Bolivians or Blues. The soft water that Cardinal Tetras prfer will be perfect for the Blues to spawn in. I have Cardinals, Cories, and both species of Rams togerther in a planted 55 with no problems. BTW You shouldn't have to worry about losing any of them out of the open top either. Cories are the only fish you listed that ever go topside including feeding time.

Last edited:

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
To be honest, I think I may start with 6 Rams, then. This way in case of any deaths, I'll have a buffer. Two pair is fine with me. Also I don't think I'll go with black tetras, because I may want to use Onyx Sand for substrate (maybe flourite tho). I want a bit of color and neons or cardinals fit the bill nicely!:) I thought maybe the tetras would stay in the top half of the tank, that's interesting that corys are the only one to go topside (considering I want them for bottom) I know the Rams will stay pretty low, but I don't mind that.

As far as species, I'll probably go with blue rams, I'm not big on the bolivians (lack of bright colors) for this setup. I'm also going to probably get whichever corys the LFS is currently carrying when I go to buy. I don't want anything too rare. And I already talked about the tetras. I just want a good looking bright colored and fun tank. I am very personal with my other large cichlids (name them, talk to them, act like a fool, baby them, etc.), and probably won't get too attached to the smaller fish in this setup I'm researching. Schools of tetras can be tough to remember names for!!!:confused: Maybe I'll name the rams though, if they have a difference in appearance, or attitude difference like many larger cichlids do. I also want to be able to easily replace any losses that do occur. It's hard to replace fish you are very personal with. I have never gotten a second fish of the same species:( Hard to match my first ones.

Thanks for all the info though guys! Any more?

jafo

AC Members
Oct 6, 2002
Johnson City, TN
fishgeeks.com
The Cories getting gulps of air is what I meant. My Cardinals and Rams won't even go to the surface at feeding time.

I just thought of another possible tankmate that would add color, stay on top, and be a non-aggressive specie. A pair of Pearl Gouramies would definitely fit that bill. A pair would add another 8-10" of stock but you currently have nothing that will be at that level.

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I appreciate all the agreement on the stocking ideas. It's been running through my mind for months. The only thing I was going to do differently was to add some ghost catfish, which also do better in schools. They get pretty large though (4"-6" I've heard) and I don't want to push it! I decided I don't want to add any bio-mass to my tank beyond my list I currently have. I really like the sound of albino corys though;) --Now your talking!

Current List (As it stands now):
- 4 Microgeophagus Ramirez (Blue Rams)
(will start with 6 and watch for pairing off)
- 8 Albino Corys
- 15 Neon or Cardinal Tetras ( Help me decide please )

I think this is plenty of bio-mass for a 55 gallon heavily planted tank. I'd rather err on side of caution! Should look natural, yet elegant!

Other tank ideas:
- Various plants (dense planting)
- 160 W Flourescent Light (4x40W strip lights)
- Open top tank design (hanging DIY canopy above tank)
- CO2 (would like pressurized, but haven't decided - cost)
- Top Fin 300gph HOB + Magnum HOT Filters = 550gph
(mechanical) + (biological with prefilter)
- Tank will be centered on an 8' long DIY table cabinet surrounded by dense houseplant arrangements. I already have most of the houseplants sitting on the cabinet that I built for this setup (looks awesome and is very sturdy). I'm just waiting on cash to get a 75 gal for my big fish (Jack Dempsey and Blackbelt) so I can move them out of the 55 and start this setup. I like to plan ahead:rolleyes:

Sting

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
www.picturetrail.com
Dwarf Gouramis are small, but they will certainly add a crazy splash of color! They are strikingly beautiful, but I'd only recommend one, possibly two for a pair. If you get two, the dull colored ones are females, the brilliant colored ones are males, easily differentiated. Sounds like a great setup though Sumpin! Dwarf Gouramis get 2 inches in length, and two males would cause definite problems, even in such a large tank, but a pair would be perfect. Their ease of breeding is amazing, they will pair off immediately, and if your lucky (as most people are) they will begin to make a bubble nest of mixed plants pieces and bubbles (obvioulsy lol). It is very interesting, so I'm told, and they would be a cool addition. Not only would you have breeding Rams, you'd also have breeding Gouramis. They are good top dwelling fish for any tank.

Now, other Gouramis would be just as good, I've just noticed Dwarf Gouramis have the most color (males). Just be careful in all situations, Gourami males don't do well with other gourami males. Gouramis do well with one male per female, or one male per two females. I hope I've provided you with as much information as you might need. Gouramis will amke a fine choice in your tank.

(Larger Gourami's such as Pearl, Blue, ect. may reach 4-6 inches I think, but I'm not positive)

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Cardinals are harder to find in my area than neons, but IMO are prettier due to their larger size. (There's a school of them at Ripley's Aquarium...wow, really striking in really big numbers, they have about 500 of them....). They are a touch more aggressive than neons, but still a community animal....

Like I said, they do get a touch larger, and they seem to like a little larger school than neons do (of course, I could be wrong, seeing as I've never had luck with the little guys). Might take that into consideration if you want to keep the bioload light.

Blue gouramis DO get to be a little big, around 5-6"....never had a dwarf or a paradise before, but I think they'd look gorgeous in this situation...all that bright on dark, ooooh....

P.S. Gouramis are jumpers(or mine were, anyhow), keep that in mind...they might only be temporary residents....

Sumpin'fishy

Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Hmmm, OK you guys got me interested in researching gouramis and paradise fish. I'll get back to you on this.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store