Strange little bugs in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

damselmaster

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
Well, they probably aren't bugs but they look like them. The look like those mites you find at the beach crawling under driftwood.

I overturned some liverock looking for my tiger-tail cucumber and found him but I also found some small, longish beige things crawling around. The are about the size of a pinhead. I tried to catch one but they were too small and fast.

I want to know if anybody here might have an idea of what these things could possibly be. I have had my liverock in my tank for about 3 months. and havent added anything new for about 2.5 months.

I probably shouldn't be concered but I plan on adding another expensive fish in a few weeks and I am hoping they aren't baby mantis shrimp....well, I wouldn;t mind having a species only mantis shrimp tank but I don't want these things to grow and scewer my fish. :)

any advice would help me.

damselmaster

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
thanks.

They are probably copepods. They have the shape and the colour except they don't swim, but the second article said their are many species that are bottom dwellers.

I will certainly watch them. I have no carnivores in the tank so they should be safe to grow and/or reproduce. The only thing that might be harmful to them is the scarlet hermits but the copepods seem to have found refuge under the liverock.

Regardless, I have heard from multiple people that most life that grows in the tank is usually benificial and just simply part of the natural reef ecosystem.

One more thing, I have algae in my tank I have never had before. I stopped surface skimming and this seaweed like substance is now growing. It is also growing on parts of petrified coral that sprout up from the bottom. It litteraly looks and smells like the seaweed you find on the beach, especially here in BC. I have been trying to find out if it is in fact a plant, rather then an algae online but haven't been able to find much about it due to the fact I don't know the name. when scooped out, it looks like a wet version of the seaweed you buy in packages to feed tangs.

Aescleah

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
NC
Visit site
watch out is it little green hair like algae if it is or honestly even if its not algae is growing in your tank if its not something that you put in there might become a nuisance. this means nitrates and phosates are getting high if you dont have a test kit for both i would get them before you start getting critters to battle the algae problem though you are going to hear a crap load of advice to get certain snails and hermit crabs and a urchin or two to battle the trouble cut down on the feeding and prehaps the photo period also if you can get some other desirable algae to compete for the nitrates and phosphates the other stuff can not grow. you are at a stage and turning point where most beginners make some of there biggest mistakes get control of your nitrates and phosphates i can not stress this enough

btw if you are thinking about angels, tangs or butterflyfish you are askin for trouble wait till your tank has been seasoned for 6 months in my tanks i wait a year there is nothing worse then seeing these guys laying on the tank floor breathing hard and labored colours fading infront of your eyes as they die. a book i reccommend is concientious marine aquarist by robert fenner and marine fishes from scott michael let these two books be your fishie bibles

ok enough preaching enjoy the hobby = )
Ashley
some nice articals
http://www.reefland.com/rho/0905/main6.php
well here is some good stuff period
http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic18606-14-1.aspx

Last edited:

damselmaster

AC Members
Sep 23, 2005
well, I wouldn't consider this stuff hair algae. It is flat like literal seaweed (of course, I don't know much about algae but when I think hair I think of stringy stuff.)

As for fish I am thinking about putting a regal tang in. I have a yellow tang and a percula clown right now. I read that yellows and regals will get along.

My tank is pretty much established. Everything is coated with coraline.

I am just worried about the little critters I found. If they are copepods, my fish might have extra food..even though I am not going to put carnivores into the tank...omnivores though.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
How big is this tank? Also, increase the water flow will help reduce any algae. Your nitrates could be high as you have a yellow tang and unless you have a large 90g plus tank they can be messy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store