Strange Tank Growth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mmmmarmar

AC Members
May 15, 2006
Hi Everyone. I'm hoping that I've come to the right place to get some help.

My saltwater tank has had some strange growth for awhile. I've asked the petstore and they're clueless. When the tank walls are cleaned, the growth comes back. Overall it's green, as you see in the photos, but there is also some pink growth too. Can anyone identify this and tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks!

Last edited:

mmmmarmar

AC Members
May 15, 2006
thanks for your response.

sorry if i didn't provide much info. i've provided an overall photo of my tank. as you can see, it's not very attractive. i'd like to improve it.

we've been buying salt water from the petstore, hoping that it would improve the conditions. we have 2 live rocks and the other plants are fake.. are you sure its coraline algae? could this growth be caused by maybe the type of tank light? we try not to keep ours on for very long.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
The best thing you could do to make your tank more attractive, IMHO, is add more live rock. It's nice looking and provides a fantastic bio filter for the tank, as well as hiding places and a constant source of food (worms, pods etc.) for your fish.

Aescleah's right, the green and pink growth is coralline, par for the course and not a bad thing at all (other than being a PITA to get off the glass). If you want to get rid of it, razor blades and credit cards make great scrapers. Lots of people spend good money on supplements to try and encourage purple coralline growth, but it's a matter of taste. I've got a little in my 30g, if you look closely you can see it on the back wall, lol ;)

mmmmarmar

AC Members
May 15, 2006
Thanks!

My dad is the one who takes care of the tank, since I do not live at home anymore. I told him that I thought the fish need more hiding spots, thank you for the reminder. Your live rock/coral look very nice. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store