stunning reef we don't see every day.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
http://glassbox-design.com/2009/mariusz-nps-sun-coral-reef-shows-20ks-are-not-a-must/

Anyone heard of, or attempt to setup one of these NPS reefs ?

Every coral in there doesn't require light.

I'd love to set something like this up. Any thoughts/experience?

From what I've read, it seems very important to setup a photoplankton reactor that feeds several times a day.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

I might try to pull it off using my 40g cube.

Azoox tanks are popping up more and more, but very few can match the beauty or Mariusz’ 550L (145g) reef. This aquarium utilizes six 80w Korallen Zucht T5 tubes, 4 Marine Light and 2 Fiji Purple. The end result is a warmer light that highlights the orange, red and pink tones of his non-photosynthetic animals [...]

Azoox tanks are popping up more and more, but very few can match the beauty or Mariusz’ 550L (145g) reef. This aquarium utilizes six 80w Korallen Zucht T5 tubes, 4 Marine Light and 2 Fiji Purple. The end result is a warmer light that highlights the orange, red and pink tones of his non-photosynthetic animals like his hundreds of Sun Corals (Tubastraea spp.), 9 Rhizotrochus typus and 24 tube anemones (Cerianthus spp.). As we’ve written before, 20K’s are not the only way to make colors pop.
This look is a stark contrast to the deep blue 20K illumination over many SPS reefs. However, Mariusz still achieves his splashes of blue but with sponges and rather monochromatic fish: 10 Allens Damsels (Pomacentrus alleni), a Bicolor Angelfish (Centropyge bicolor), various wrasses (Cirhillabrus spp.), and a coupe of Niger Triggers (Odonus niger).
Mariusz feeds 40 (yes forty – 10 mysis & 30 brine) cubes of frozen food a day to feed all of the azoox polyps in the tank. To handle the nutrient load he employs a Deltec apf851 and Korallin NO3 Denitrator, while dosing 6ml of vodka a day. Mariusz also uses Lanthanum chloride (liquid po4 remover) to reduce creeping phosphates. Weekly 80l (~20g) water changes are performed, and Korallen Zucht’s ZeoZyme is also used frequently and is believed to increase skimmer performance.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Yup, seen tons of them online, some forums have subsections just for that type of tank.. just never seen one locally. That is a lot of sun polyps in that tank.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
We have some folks that collect Tubastrea and gorgonians from jetties, piers, and oil rigs and have set up tanks with them. One of them had lots of large, spawning colonies. Cool setups for sure.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
You'll still get cyano if inorganics are up, unless it is extremely dark, but then you can't really see much then, either.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
A friend of mine has a non-photosynthetic tank up in a 30 gallon biocube. He feeds at least twice a day, but usually more often then that. He is working on some form of constant feeder that will automatically feed frozen food. It looks pretty cool, I've always toyed with the idea of a gorgonian/sponge/suncoral tank. And then keep frogfish in there or something.

Its interesting to me the choice of fish in Mariusz's Suncoral reef. Angelfish and triggers? Wouldn't be my first choice in a tank full of small polyps! :p:

You'd save money on lighting, but you would have to put that into a really beefy skimmer. ;)

Steve's site is worth a visit, even though its coldwater it is still a very similar setup to what would be needed for a non-photosynthetic tropical reef. http://www.oregonreef.com/

-Diana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store