Stupid Question?....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Whats a Mbuna? What classifys a cichlid as a Mbuna? According to this, its bacisally just telling me its a fish who likes areas with sand and rock.. but really, what malawi cichlid dosn't? ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbuna

Can anyone explain to me a little better?? Thanks ;)

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
so if its just a fish that likes rock, and is from Malawi, how come people say, "dont mix mbunas and malawi" ????????????

^^ thats what i dont understand^^

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
There are different groups of malawi cichlids. The mbuna are the type that like rocky cover. There are also "haps", which were fomerly grouped all in the family haplochromis, which are basically made up of the meat-eating piscivores, the peacocks (Aulonocara sp.), and utaka (Copadichromis sp.). The haps group are more open-water type fish.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Lake Malawi is derived of basically 3 cichlid groups::the Mbuna, the peacock, and the Haplochromis...

What they mean when they tell you not to mix Mbuna with Malawi is:::it is strongly suggested not to mix Mbuna cichlids with any other Malawi type cichlid...which comes from the Peacock and Hap species of cichlid...

Mbuna is a rock dwelling cichlid that inhabits the shallow and rocky shores of Lake Malawi...mbuna cichlids are bottom tank swimmers...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/malawi.php
Peacock cichlids inhabit the sand and rocks where they are mixed...Peacock cichlids are middle tank swimmers..In the wild, the peacock cichlid is found mostly in open waters...
http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/cichlidae/peacock/100026.asp
Haplochromis cichlids inhabit the open waters of Lake Malawi and do not swim around the rocky areas...they are top tank swimmers...
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/haplochromis.php

Alot of people prefer to only go with one kind of cichlid from Lake Malawi, for some species can be more aggressive than other...hence the peacock is more aggressive than the Mbuna and the Haplochromis is more aggressive than both...the Mbuna cichlid is peaceful, and it is recommended to stock a tank of one kind of Lake Malawi cichlid....

And even though the Haplochromis does not come from Lake Malawi, they actually inhabit Lake Victoria,,,the link above about the Haplochromis explains the Hap cichlids....

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
thanks for clarify things up a little ;)

I currently have a mix of all thease 'conditions.' I have a 150gal, where i have built up 2 thick dense areas of rock, then i have some small caves and such, as well as randum rocks lieing along the sand. And then cuz its such a big tank, there is also plenty of 'open' room. So, pretty much i am providing good condidtions for all types of fish, so then my only worry would have to be aggression, right?

When I got my first 'batch' of malawi, I went to Petco for their cheep prices. ;) They didn't know anything about the fish, (nor did i) so they told me that i could go ahead and get them, and then if i find that i dont want them, i can always return or exchange them.

So, anyways, Apparently I already started off on the wrong foot, cuz i ended up getting a pair of peacocks, and some kenyi's. Anyways, I've had them for about 3 weeks now, they seem to be getting along just fine.

Also, about 3 days ago i went to my lfs and got some new tank mates...
1 male, 1 female, = Taiwan Reef
1 male, 3 females, = Fossorochromis Rostratus

Now learning about mbunas and such, I have learned that all of thease fish together, arn't the perfect match...

So far, everyone still seems to be getting along just fine. There is very little, almost no aggression! No ones fines are nipped, everyone is swimming happily around.. I not worried at all about thease fish being together, everyone seems really happy! :) IF there ever was a probelm, then the peacocks and the kenyi's would go...
I am in love with my new additions, (Tawian Reef, and the Fossorochromis Rostratus!) - so if a problem arrises, those are my top guys that i will keep!
But, I dont really think there is going to be a problem...

If anyone would like to comment on this, feel free...

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Yes, your only worry would be aggression...and hope it all works out for you...as they say, to each their own....we also have peacocks and mbunas in our tank...and the male red zebra thinks he is the king and the female ob peacock thinks she is queen...and she only chases the other female peacock...but good luck and keep us posted..and maybe some pix...that would be cool...

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store