Substittution for actual pond liner.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
my pond liner has started to leak and I was wonder if you could use that 5 mil plastic that comes on rolls at Home Depot and Lowes. It is a lot cheaper and I could double it up.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
have used fiberglass tarps . One lasted over 20 years with 3 feet of depth. While you can use the the roll plastic two major drawbacks , easily penetrated and degrades in direct sun. A 12x 15 tarp cost under 25 bucks . main drawback is the color s bright blue ,Orange,silver and a sickly brown lol. gary

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
How about you find the leak and just seal it?
mainly because I am using this as an excuse to make my pond about 40% larger.

Nicole Martin

AC Members
Sep 22, 2015
Shelton,CT
pondrepair.blogspot.com
Real Name
Nicole Martin
Over the years Pond Pro 2000 has been trusted by thousands of customer as the only one-step solution to repair pond liner leaks. If you are a do-it-yourself type of person and are looking for a significantly easier method to fix your pond liner leak you have found it. Your existing pond liner can be coated once with Pond Pro 2000 and immediately your leak is fixed.

Carla Cowart

AC Members
Aug 26, 2018
Hi
have used fiberglass tarps . One lasted over 20 years with 3 feet of depth. While you can use the the roll plastic two major drawbacks , easily penetrated and degrades in direct sun. A 12x 15 tarp cost under 25 bucks . main drawback is the color s bright blue ,Orange,silver and a sickly brown lol. gary
Are you talking about the large tarps they sell at Wal-Mart or Lowes?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
my pond liner has started to leak and I was wonder if you could use that 5 mil plastic that comes on rolls at Home Depot and Lowes. It is a lot cheaper and I could double it up.
How long have you had that liner? Is it a "real" liner? How big is the new pond going to be? No matter the answers to these questions I 100% recommend getting the proper 45mil liner. If it is a small pond then the price won't be too high, if it is a big pond you REALLY don't want to have to redo it again anytime soon. Just recently I had an uninvited 130lb cane corso (dog) with long nails fall into my 3.5ft deep pond while no one was around and she got out on her own scratching the sides of the pond liner. I could see the scraps in the algae but amazingly there does not seem to be any holes. I am SO thankful I didn't cut corners cause that liner is amazing!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
I find it way beyond possible for a blue tarp from loes to last 20 years under any situation. i would have to guess the pond was dug in clay and it actually was the liner. Even then don't even look in it's direction or it would fall appart

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
agree with gbbudd almost all of the inexpensive utility tarps that you find at HD, Lowes, Harbor Freight, etc. are polyethylene, which doesn't take long in the sun to start falling apart. polypropylene is better, but still a lifetime of a few years if the best you can hope for unless all of it is completely shaded with rocks or water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store