Substrate for african cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

adwebster123

AC Members
Aug 19, 2008
Glendora, CA
Real Name
David Webster
Camera Used
iphone 10
getting ready to set up a 100G African tank. What are people using for a substrate these days? I'm planning on a few plants as well - anubias and Java Fern

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Cheap option would be pool filter sand though the colors vary from tan to white depending on brand and location.

strat1127

Registered Member
Mar 6, 2005
I've been using Caribsea African Cichlid Mix for years . They have several color and size options and all have a large portion of crushed coral in the mix to help buffer. It keeps my mbuna tank at 7.8 without any additives.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I've always used pool filter or play sand, but I've always had hard water as well. If you have soft or acidic water, crushed coral/aragonite, oyster shell or dolomite gravel or sand may help buffer the water to maintain pH once you get the water up to the right pH. Regardless of what you choose, make sure you rinse it thoroughly before use.

WYite

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I personally like very fine grained gravel. So fine that the next step smaller would be sand. You can usually find it in natural color or white tones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store