Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Substrate for Corys

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Dan89, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Dan89

Dan89 AC Members

Mar 4, 2017
    Hey guys, I should decide what kind of substrate put above my fertilized substrate Dennerle Deponitmix. I was thinking about having Corys in my tank, so I think that sand or fine gravel should be ideal.

Actually I'm quite worried about sand (although it would be the best for corys) because of its hard mainentenace but, most important, because of the risk of creating anaerobic zones.

I would chose the third substrate from the left in the photo attached. The producer labels it as 0,7-1,2mm gravel. Would it be fine for Corys? Is it big enough to avoid risk of anaerobic zones?

IMG_20170110_004220.jpg

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 5:00 PM
    Well, from what I can tell, any of those except the far right 1 would be fine. That 1 is likely to compact & may have problems if it's very deep. Sand (except for very fine) is not really difficult but needs different cleaning techniques. A swirling action of gravel vac over the surface is often best. The larger sands/gravel may be able to withstand deeper vacuuming without getting sucked out. How deep will need experimenting & practice.

Good luck! I like the color of the other 3 too.

3. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Today at 8:27 AM
    Sheila
    The cories will root through and help with that as well, as will rooted plants and MTS snails. Keep in mind that more than the size, the texture is important. You want smooth stones, not ones that have lots of very sharp edges. Larger stones that are smooth will be much better than smaller stuff that's sharp.

4. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Yesterday at 1:45 AM
    Jessica
    I think the second from the right would be OK. If you have Dennerle Deponitmix on the bottom, then the fine sand will eventually go to the bottom anyway.

5. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Today at 10:30 AM
    Joel
    Agreed. Nice soft, fine substrates mimics a corys natural environment I'd think. Their barbles grow nice and long if it's not too rough. I've kept corys in with large chunky substrate. They did OK, but their barbles did wear down.

6. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 5:01 PM
    Is there a reason you want to cap the substrate?

IMO, it should be fine on its own, and capping it with something that has a smaller grain would just leave it sinking to the bottom and the substrate mixing.

FreshyFresh likes this.
  7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 5:00 PM
    You know, I always come back to the ancient RTR post when it comes to sharp substrate & corys. He did an experiment of sharp crushed glass vs bare bottom (but high mulm & nitrate) tank & cory barbel wear. Guess which was better? Glass shards! I'm a believer! RIP RTR!

dougall and FreshyFresh like this.
  8. Ketso

Ketso Cityfied Redneck

Jan 18, 2017
    I have pool filter sand in my 55. The green cories seem to love it. Haven't noticed any barbel issues at all. YMMV