Substrate for Loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I recently upgraded from a 75 gallon (freshwater) to a 150 gallon tank. Inhabitants include:

1 adult Gold Severum (8")
12 Black Skirt Tetras
7 Giant Danios
1 Platy
1 BN Pleco, approx 4"

I LOVE clown loaches and now that i have a 6-ft long tank, i'd like to get a school of them -- maybe 6 or so? However, I also want to have some fun with 'eel-y' type fish and considered getting a Ropefish -- although the stories of them escaping the tanks has scared me off a bit.. so, i'm thinking maybe Weather Loaches? they are a bit eel-like..

My question is -- how critical is substrate for loaches? I have a pea-size aquarium gravel in my tank and have no plans to switch to sand... will loaches be ok? Only certain types of loaches?

I am a responsible pet owner and don't want to subject my fish to an unsuitable habitat :)

Goldiefinn

AC Members
May 11, 2009
Vancouver, BC
BTW, lots of filtration -- a Fluval FX5 and Eheim 2217 (the one I moved over from my established 75 gal)

Maypea

AC Members
Aug 8, 2013
Texas
I switched my substrate to sand but my clowns were just fine with gravel substrate before that. They can have either, they're pretty flexible on that one.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gravel can work, I liked to deep vacuum it, 1/4 each Water change. A note on weather loaches--they like much cooler water temps than clowns so not ideal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store