Substrate question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Using eco complete then capping it with blasting sand.

How deep of the blasting sand is acceptable?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Why are you capping it?

Unless you like the look it is unecessary, and it will mix together over time anyway.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I just received the eco and don’t like that it looks like gravel. Then I’ve been reading it doesn’t really help plants and you need to add root tabs.
So I’m thinking of returning the eco and just buying more blasting sand.
My last tank was just play sand and it did pretty good. But I had to EI dose it. Was trying to stay away from dry ferts and 50 percent water changes.

what soil do you guys recommend that I could cap with black sand without worries of mixing.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
You know what forget that post above. I can use both by having different areas of each.
So what is the best root tab now? Used to be rootmedic.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would say the best is gonna be DIY, either for root tabs or column dosing (it doesn't need to be EI)

For premade/commercial I would use other Thrive or Tropica

For cheap root tabs I would really use osmocote if none of the above 3 work for you... Is far better than Seachem or API

But I haven't used every option that is out there and would use an aquasoil instead of root tabs.

Reactions: IceH2O
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store