substrate ?'s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
what are my options with using a mixed substrate, such as a flourite and play sand combo to keep it closer to the dark looking substrate while still keeping my costs lower than 100% flourite, is this an option

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
new question:

what if i got some gravel, like larger peices almost 1/4", and i mixed that with flourite for a substrate, would this be a good idea?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
i have come up with the following list of plants for my new 240g tank

Cabomba Green(cabomba carolina)-for background/side of tank
Mother Amazon Sword- for middle of background
caladiifolia(anubias barteri v caladiifolia)- for midground
larger peice or two of malaysian driftwood for midground
dwarf baby tears (hemianthus callitrichoides)- foreground

my question is....
what is the cheapest substrate that i can use to grow/sustain these plants comfortably, i know everyone is on short budgets now and im feeling the same, just wondering if anyone has any input on what would be cheaper than a full flourite substrate, any help or advice is welcome... thanks guys :)
Why go cheap when you did not for the tank and space?
This is huge tank and hard to do right if you are limited $ wise, better to go a 75 gal and do it right.

The SMS/turface suggestion is about as good as you are going to go.
Mineralized soil(MS) and a sand cap will work well, provided you are not to the type that uproots and likes to move plants all over the place............
If so, go with the SMS suggestion, about 15$ per 50lb sack.

MS works very well but takes some time, labor etc to prep it.
Search on line, you will find quite a bit of info.

Light and CO2?
What's the plan there?
These are more critical than the sediment, but also easier to add/delete once the tank is set up.

These cost more along with filtration as the tank size gets larger and larger.

I'd spend more time locating wood and the hardscape you want.
Have you grown HC prior?

I hope you plan on CO2 with the plant choices you have there and low to moderate light, say no more than 480W of T8 or T5 lighting.

Gas tank CO2 is the only practical solution for a tank this size.
Non CO2 will greatly limit the fish and feeding routines, and no water changes. If you want to do water changes and pick any plant species, then CO2 is better. Plants grow much faster and better with CO2.
Cabomba does really well as does HC. Swords do well, and Anubias do also.

Excel etc is not practical nor is DIY CO2 at a 240 Gal scale, hence the cheap/$ issues. Big tank = big cost, it's not just the cost of the tank/stand, it's the other items.

But, if you had 6 x 40 gal tanks, the cost would be much higher.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
hey barr, sorry i should have posted my decision.

i came to the same conclusion that you did after careful consideration and talking to some seasoned aquatic members of my family. im going with a full flourite substrate because its really just the one time cost for that and i want it done right and to be done right the first time. i have some driftwood in mind and want to make a raised level in the back corner of the tank using some eggcrate and slate perhaps.

for filtration im going with one fluval fx5 series canister filter under the tank and two bio wheel 350 hob filters. perhaps an added powerhead for some flow to take care of any detritus that might build up.

as for the lighting and co2, i have been working with my uncle to get my co2 sytem set straight and have decided on a 5lb cylinder controlled via electronic solenoid timed at the same intervals as my lighting

as for the lighting ive opted for a diy 8 bulb strip light setup using 23w 6500k reflected flood bulbs that will give the adequate lighting for the plants that ive chosen. saving alittle money but overall giving me the desired output.

thanks again for all the help everyone : )

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store