Substrate size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stock R

AC Members
Mar 13, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Will the size of substrate matter with goldfish?

Currently I have nothing in the tank but bare glass. I really want to add something like the sandblasting sand mentioned in another thread. However they said that the size of the stuff is about 1mm in diameter. Is that okey or will I need something larger such as gravel?

This is for ryukins. TIA.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I would get something that doesn't compact for the substrate, b/c, even though the ryukins would probably pick it over, you would still potentially create a large anaerobic layer as waste builds up in the sand. I'd go with river gravel or pea gravel, but that's just me.

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Stock, that’s a great question. I have three tanks, a bare bottom, very easy to clean but not very decorative. Small gravel one, (the size of split peas) about 1 1/2 inches deep, fish will easily spit out the gravel (never seen them get it stuck in their mouths) when they are turning it up looking for food. Cleaning it is ok just use the siphon to get all the waste out. A large gravel (bigger than regular size peas) just enough to cover the bottom of the tank, I have had some problems with fish getting it stuck in their mouths and cleaning it. The gravel use to be 2-3 inches deep but had a lot of problems with waste build up because of everything would disappear between the larger spaces of the gravel. I removed all of it except the thin layer that I left (much easier to clean).

I have read good things about using sand; it is like having a bare bottom tank except it looks better. The sand is not as easy to siphon up because it will get sucked up with the water. Takes a little bit of practice to master it. My next tank will be sand.

Avoxo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store