Substrates for ADF's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
What kind of substrate do you recommend? I have gravel left over from my goldfish but it ranges from in size and some are very tiny. Should I use aquarium safe glass beads or just make sure that the gravel is a larger size?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I had two ADFs and did some reading up on the subject. You can leave the bottom clean and empty of substrate, sand is good, gravel is OK, but you want to be sure that the gravel is not small enough that the frog may get it in his mouth.

I've seen photos of ADFs with small gravel stuck in their mouth, and then you have to try to get it out, or gravel small enough that they swallow it and it causes an intestinal obstruction.

I had some gravel, at one point sand, and at another time bare bottom. I would go with either a bare bottom, or a heavy, large grain sand, like pool filter sand.

Even if you go bare bottom that's fine, in fact you can really see debris and keep the tank clean, you still need to have some neat places for them to hide, and either fake or real plants.

If you get fake plants, make sure you get large leaf type, silk is really good. You don't want to get the plastic plants that have sharp pointy leaves, because they can injure their delicate skin.

I hope this helps... ADFs are just adorable.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
I have potted plants in my goldie tank and I put one of them in the tank I got for the frogs sometimes they hid in there or behind the glass. I had a plan to go out and get some stuff for them but we had some major car problems and had to turn around and go home. So when we get the car back we are going to the lfs to get some stuff.
So I will probably not get any substrate then just lots of places to hide.

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store