Suggested Plants for Refugium/Sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
Hi,

I have a freshwater sump that I run on my 125 gal tank. I want to add plants to the refugium to help with filtering. Sand substrate( approp. for freshwater)
Sunpaq compact lighting. Any suggestions and where to find great.

Also any suggestions on keeping any kind of plant in substrate with JD,Oscar and pleco.

Thanks
Amy

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
It will be very tough to keep anything rooted with JDs & Oscars as some (not all) of these specimens seem to take great delight in trenching out the bottom of their tanks, especially as they get larger. And Plecos, especially as they get large, will sometimes eat plants. If that happens, the plants will lose.

Swords are among few plants that establish large enough root systems to (possibly) withstand digging fish. Aside from these, you may be limited to stuff you can tie to driftwood.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
As far as nitrate export, emersed plants are usually the best bet because they aren't limited by the carbon in the water column, they can take it (CO2) right out of the air so they can grow faster with lower needs. Look at water hyacinth, or different bog plants. Otherwise, fast growing stem plants are a good bet, such as anacharis or hornwort.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
It will be very tough to keep anything rooted with JDs & Oscars as some (not all) of these specimens seem to take great delight in trenching out the bottom of their tanks, especially as they get larger. And Plecos, especially as they get large, will sometimes eat plants. If that happens, the plants will lose.
i don't think he wants to have plants in the actual tank, but i believe he means he wants to put plants in the sump

amyjod2

AC Members
Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for the info.
To answer the question, it is both, I want plants in the sump, but also was questioning plants in the tank.
If I tie plants to the drift wood, which I have plenty of, then what is good. Thanks for taking the time as I really have no experience with plants.

Amy(by the way, I am a she, not he, :grinno:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Anubias and java fern will both grow onto driftwood. You can try tying them on with string or fishing line. They are both fairly tough, low to medium light plants.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
^ right - other sump candidates would include duckweed, any Hygro species, Najas guadilupens (guppy grass)... w/ Lilies, be careful of sump overhead clearance & size (many lilies get big). Another stem plant that goes emergent & grows at a reasonable (not super fast) is Alternanthera reineckii.

Najas, duckweed, frogbit & java moss all do well as free floaters, so you could also add them to the display tank if you like.

StereoKills

Hey intern, get me a Campari.
Sep 10, 2007
Ithaca, NY
For the sump I recommend hornwart or guppy grass. Both are extreamly fast growers and will suck the nitrates right out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store