Suggestions for 120G w/ GT.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bloodthirsty77

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2011
So been out of the fishkeeping circle for a while. I have a 120G with a GT, 2 silver dollars and an old old Bala Shark(like 13 yrs old).

Anyway my male GT is a few years old and apparently just hit the ahole stage. He killed a large BP(which I didn't care for really) this week. Now the tank looks empty and I'm looking for suggestions. The GT is about 6" long so not a big boy yet.

I do have a hybrid fish in a separate tank it's dad was a Texas and mother was the recently dead BP. I would consider adding him to the 120 but he's grown up in a tank alone and seems to be extremely aggressive. My 120 is only a 4' tank and the GT historically has been somewhat of a wimp until recently.

So any ideas? Thanks.

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
The GT thinks that he owns the tank so it's going to be hard to add anything else to the tank. The GT being 6 inches is also going to be a problem. I would say that you could add a JD or another larger south/central american cichlid to the tank but since your GT is 6in it's going to be hard to find another cichlid at that size. If you add a smaller south/central american cichlid to the tank odds are that the GT is going to kill it.

Maybe try adding a small group of tinfoil barbs. I have 4 in my 120G tank with my GT (who is an ahole) and they do fine. My GT actually doesn't bother them at all.

Good luck.

Bloodthirsty77

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2011
Here is an idea. Move the tex/bp hybrid to the 120 and move the gt to my empty 55. Maybe find a female for the gt and have a pair?

But what to add with the hybrid if I do that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store