Suggestions for Gourami dominating the whole tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Hi all,
I have a 40g breeder, very understocked, partially planted (plus some fake plants), minimal driftwood. Two medium sponge filters in back on each end of the tank. The fish are,
  • 1 dwarf powder blue Gourami
  • 1 mature black neon tetra (his friends died previously)
  • quite a few assassin snails
  • And 4 or 5 weeks ago I added 7 juvenile neon tetras (they grew out from teensy things while in quarantine but they're not full size yet).
Before the neons came, the Gourami was eating exclusively at the surface of the water, and occasionally chasing the black neon. For a few weeks after the neons came, the Gourami was still eating exclusively at the top and no longer chasing anyone. I was making sure some flake food sank a little way down and the black neon and neons would eat near the bottom/middle of the water column.

But about a week ago, everyone but the Gourami started hiding pretty much all the time, and the Gourami started semi-ignoring the flake on the surface and going after the food in the middle and bottom, even squeezing himself in small spaces to get at it. I feel bad that everyone but the Gourami is miserably hiding and probably hungry.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should rearrange the tank to mix up the territory?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
has the temperature rose in his tank lately? Possibly could be nesty and defending a nest hes made... or wants to make anyways. Do you have floating plants?

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
The heater setting has not been changed but I haven't been checking the thermometer regularly. Floating plants--I just have a small bunch of Wisteria. There's a lot of bubbles happening at the surface from the sponge filters so maybe there's a bubble nest that's blending in.

Teddy's Mom

AC Members
Dec 24, 2016
Marin county CA
Real Name
Diane
Maybe consider swapping out your male gourami for a female? The female gouramis often make better community tankmates (but they are also not usually as colorful).
Previously I have thought of getting several females and maybe adding one more male (but keeping the original male also). I don't want to get rid of the guy I have now, I took him from a teenage girl who I promised I would give him a good life. Well, everything was fine before and this hasn't been going on too long, so maybe it can resolve itself. I guess I will rearrange the tank, too, in case that helps him feel less territorial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store