Suggestions for higher pH fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
So, I have learned a LOT recently about fish keeping. Mostly that I cannot keep neon tetras alive (save for like 1 out of a purchase of 15, and even then it doesn't seem to thrive for the year or two that it lives). Parameters and temp are good, water changes are regular, I use Seachem Prime for water changes, very few other tank mates so they aren't being chased to death, not overfeeding, etc.

I finally discovered that it could be because neon tetras like lower pH and my water is at least 8.3 on the scale. I always acclimated slowly too, adding a bit of tank water every 20 minutes for about 4 hours, so they aren't dying from temp shock. I just figure there is only so much acclimating a fish can do before it is still too high of a pH, you know?

ANYWAY, so I have a 55 with a bristlenose pleco and 4 neon tetras (one blue and three black) and I am hoping to put a few golden weather loaches.

I also have a 20 with 4 dwarf loaches and about 4 neon tetras (three blue and one black).

Any suggestions for tank mates that tolerate a higher pH and would balance these tanks out and also look nice??

There are a few low light plants in the 55 and a large piece of driftwood, and I plan to plant more heavily and get more driftwood for both tanks as well, just haven't gotten there yet.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Neons do like a lower PH, but not sure if that is what is killing your neons. Do your acclimation, as you add water, are you taking some out? I would always add a drop or so of Prime into the bag to acclimate. .

Reactions: Jade.Crusader

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Yep, I take some out, and the water added in is tank water. Does it really need more Prime if it's water that has already been treated?? Also, I forgot to mention that we also have hard water, which I learned they also don't like. I don't have tests for it, but know it is on the hard side.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You can soften the water with mopani wood. The tannins leached will soften and lower the pH a bit. You can also add peat to your filter to do the same. Most aquarium fish will adjust to a new pH pretty well as long as it's constant.
As for high pH tank mates the only ones I know of are African cichlids, so I'm useless there.

I also wanted to mention that weather loaches are not the best option to add to your tank as they like cooler water than the other fish you have listed.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^yup. My water is ridiculously hard here, so I have mandatory driftwood in every fw tank.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, there are many ways to lower PH and soften water "slowly" for Neons (Peat filters, wood, Almond leaves, ect).
The drop of Prime in the bag is to detox the neon ammonia already in the bag.

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
Ooh, gotcha, about the Prime :) . And we saw some weather loaches in the store yesterday and I didn't love then as much as I thought I did! My husband agreed, so with your info as well, I guess those are out for now. I need more money! Lol, gotta get lots more driftwood. Where would I get almond leaves from?? I'm thinking my husband might not like how those look though..

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
LFS sometimes carry Oak Leaves. MY LFS has them.

sirena

AC Members
Jul 16, 2016
Why don't you add Seachem's Neutral Regulator to the water, and add some with every change? Most fish thrive at a pH of 7.0. Seachem also has acid reducers and alkalinity products (I suggest Seachem because I use them and because you are already using Prime). I use Neutral Regulator in nearly all my tanks except for my dwarf shrimp tanks that prefer a lower pH and one my cichlid tanks that needs 7.5pH. I mean this in the best positive light, but I guess I don't see why you'd leave the water at "at least 8.3" pH when you are starting to lose fish and have identified a problem.

People that have good water out of the tap are lucky. But the rest of us have to use water conditioners for our fish, and products for the pH, and products to counteract chlorine, and so on. It's just part of keeping fish.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend you get the API Master Test Kit. You'll want/need a test kit like this if you don't already have it. I've used mine so much that a couple of the bottles are almost gone. I know a lot of people use dip test kits (I'm up for other's suggestions) but I haven't found one that works as precise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store