Suing over food commericals...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_on_he_me/fat_kids_lawsuit

I'd love to hear other opinions about this... people in this country are completely sue-happy! Did this mother ever think of just saying no to her kids, and buying healthy foods? Or do like I do and buy it for them, but also give them healthy fruits/veggies and other snacks? Crappy cereal, even if eaten once a day-every day, is NOT going to make a kid obese.

It seems to me that way too many parents nowadays want to be their kids' friend, rather than be a parent and say no. This lady seems to want to do as little work as possible to raise her kids - sue the tv and cereal companies so they'll stop showing ads enticing my kids to want sweet cereal... how hard is it to explain about eating healthy and having snacks once in a while? Or just frigging say "no" to your kids?

What's the next product ads to be banned?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
DWAYNE! You have gone too far!! I have told you more than once that this kind of thread caused mantal anxiety for me! I can't afford all these doctors bills, so expect a call from my attorney!! :mad2:

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
If this is the case then I think I should be suing everyone on this forum for "enticing" me to buy more fish, tanks, heaters, plants, driftwood, gravel, test kits...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sweet cereals weren't purchased in my household when I was growing up. I loved going to visit firends or my grandparents, because it meant I could have Fruity Pebbles. :) Personal responsibility is out the window these days--no problem is your fault, you just haven't found the culprit. It's disturbing, and if I were in marketing, I'd be afraid. I suspect at some point, all major organizations will be threatened with a lawsuit over their product. Hopefully more judges will stand up and say 'No--this is dumb. You're an adult, and you can make choices. If you make bad ones, that's your fault.'

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ms.Bubbles said:
If this is the case then I think I should be suing everyone on this forum for "enticing" me to buy more fish, tanks, heaters, plants, driftwood, gravel, test kits...
That's be cool.. suing Petsmart for the pleco they sold you with a 10g tank..

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
sumthin fishy said:
DWAYNE! You have gone too far!! I have told you more than once that this kind of thread caused mantal anxiety for me! I can't afford all these doctors bills, so expect a call from my attorney!! :mad2:
:laugh:

Persimmon said:
Nope...and working a lot in the school system, I gaurantee it is a million times worse than anyone will believe..I am quite scared for the future of this country......
I'm afraid suing isn't the answer... why should honest companies suffer becuase people don't want to raise their own kids?

OrionGirl said:
Sweet cereals weren't purchased in my household when I was growing up. I loved going to visit firends or my grandparents, because it meant I could have Fruity Pebbles. Personal responsibility is out the window these days--no problem is your fault, you just haven't found the culprit. It's disturbing, and if I were in marketing, I'd be afraid. I suspect at some point, all major organizations will be threatened with a lawsuit over their product. Hopefully more judges will stand up and say 'No--this is dumb. You're an adult, and you can make choices. If you make bad ones, that's your fault.'
To this day I despise Cheerios - becuase that is the ONLY cereal (and I DO mean ONLY cereal) my mother ever bought us!! You were psyched to get Fruity Pebbles, I was psyched to get Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes (seriously!!)... but you hit the nail on the head OG - personal responsibility is out the window, and I don't see a way to fix it... I guess start with raising our own kids the right way, and hope it 'spreads'...

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Ms.Bubbles said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
While I don't exactly appreciate all of the commercials that are marketed towards my kids (they don't help my children want to make good food choices) I definately agree that it is my responsibility to teach my child to make good choices and I most certainly say no a lot. (My 6 year old probably doesn't like me a whole lot.) So many people in this country want to blame their problems on others and not take responsability for their own actions. It's very scary. Now we have frivalous (sp.?) lawsuits and children that show no respect for anyone. Is it just me or are the kids acting worse than they did 20 years ago?

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
Just to play devils advocate- I actually think they may have a point..
We are innundated every day with hundreds of ads and commercials for convenience food...We are innundated with these ads because they work.

Convenience food and junk food are a MAJOR health issue in North America and a serious threat. The makers of these products know that if you get them as kids, you have a customer for life...This is the very reason why you cant advertise tobacco,alcohol or gambling in a manner that would appeal to children. Using cute cartoon characters to sell a box of sugar and colouring is just as underhanded. The producers of these foods have been asked to tone down the advertising and they havnt..Law suits are the only things that make anyone listen. Im curious to see the outcome.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store