Sulawesi Shrimp Journal (Caridina Dennerli & Woltereckae) Sulawesi Tank #1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
its was less than 36 hours. The issue was they were in teh bag teh day before as well I think. They were so disintegrated there were only tails and legs floating around. it was impossible to get an accurate count of how many were shipped. I have never smelled such foul water or seen shrimp in such a state of disintegration. It was staggering.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Hmm, I bagged them a little after I got home (I got home at around 9:40ish PM). Bagged at around 10 PM and went over to Chris' soon after. Bagged with some purigen, of course.
They went out the next day, from what I heard from Chris this morning.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear about your huge loss :(
Will you be trying other Sulawesi shrimp out again in the future? I'm sure you must be frustrated with the shipment of the shrimp this time, I most definitely would be incredibly disappointed. My heart sinks fast, especially when the animal comes in dead. Makes me feel guilty they died because I had them shipped over. x_x

However, I have discovered a new Sulawesi shrimp species that ship extremely well. PM me if you are interested in hearing about them and my experience with these guys! I don't have many of them left to ship out to you, but if you want to try again next time, I recommend getting them if you don't want to risk a lot.

:)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I would have to find them from a new source. I have lost sooooo much money on my last three shipments with so little to show for it I have really lost alot of heart. I am very interested in breeding and getting new species, but cannot risk the finances any longer. i shudder to think how much I have lost at this point wtih about 80% losses out of all my orders.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :-(
Move to CA! Norcal (in the Bay Area) to be a little more specific! Hehehe... That ought to reduce the losses by a lot!

It really is disheartening though, to experience that huge of a loss percentage. In any case, whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck! Getting in new species and being able to keep them is truly the best!

-Jerry

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :-(
Move to CA! Norcal (in the Bay Area) to be a little more specific! Hehehe... That ought to reduce the losses by a lot!

It really is disheartening though, to experience that huge of a loss percentage. In any case, whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck! Getting in new species and being able to keep them is truly the best!

-Jerry

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
To my knowledge, she's still berried. Same with the cardinal, although to be quite honest, I think all my female cardinals are berried now so I don't even know which one was the first girl that got laid. >.>...

I've been checking the tank everyday to see if there's any new babies though. Sometimes I wonder if the babies hide in the cracks and don't come out, making it difficult for me to really track down gestation time.

:-(

dxiong5

AC Members
Oct 2, 2009
I have yet to see berried shrimp from the ones I got from you (hopefully there is at least 1 female!). I'm down to two Harlequins : (
I'm not really sure what to feed them. I put Shirakura pellets in, but they don't touch them at all, it sits there and gets all fuzzy, then I just take them out. I just add the baby powder food, hope that's enough...

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
I lost almost all my harlequins, including the berried one. They're mysteriously disappearing. My stable set of 7 harlequins from my first order went poof when I added new harlequins to the tank from my 2nd batch. Adding new specimens into the tank seem to screw up the stable colony for some reason. I am not sure why they are being affected.

In any case, I found baby cardinals last night! Their heads are bright red, real small though. Bodies are clearish red with spots already on them.

I am not 100% sure if that's even the same female that got berried but... we'll just say that it takes approx. 3 weeks for berry to birth.
I need to order more harlequins next time to replenish my loss. I'm quite disappointed. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store