sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alkataz

Organized Confusion
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I have a 100 gallon tank which i'm going to setup with corals, fish, annenones, and invertebrates. I have kept smaller tanks, 15-25 gallon but never anything this size. I don't really understand how a sump setup works but i have heard that most people with a setup this large use one. I'm trying to gather ideas becouse i only wanna set this thing up once and do it right. Everything should be out of site. the space under the tank is about 55" long 14" high and 16" deep. Is there enough room to do the sump??
and deos anyone have any ideas on the parts i can use to put it together?

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
You can make one with a couple of pumps some tubing and a bucket, but that might not provide quite what you want it to :) . Adding a sump basically makes the tank into part of a loop. Tank to sump to tank. this means you can put all the filters and heaters and various other bits and bobs in there out of the main tank. There are a lot of commercial sumps that come complete but they are kinda expensive. There are also a hundred diffrent plans floating about the web for diy sumps. I believe there is even one in the articles part of this site. Im not sure on the exact sizes bu tyou can probably fin dor make one that will fit your stand. The parts you will need are an overflow of some kind. there are a few types ones that are drilled through the bottom of your tank, or one that hangs on the back. Plumbing from the overflow down into the sump, In the sump you want the water to flow through your filter media and then there is usually an empty space for your other equipment and then a pump to get water back into the tank. There are a bunch of details i havnt covered, just wanted to give you a general idea of this to get you going. Hopefully someone more qualified will come in with the details:D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check in the Marine DIY--pretty sure there are some threads with the exact specs you'll need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store