sun cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dpmac10

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Nebraska
Visit site
hey whats up i just bought a sun cat at my lfs and when i bought it they did't no anyting about it and it was cheap i thought so i got it. right now it is about 4 or 5 inches and i was just wondering how big they get and what they are like thanks.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I've heard anywhere from 12"-22", so get ready. They're an Arius I believe so they probably will get pretty decent sized. Also, I've heard they appreciate brackish water, but people may be getting them confused with Arius seemanni, the silvertip cat. They're eaters though! Try bloodworms. Watch a lazy fish move like the wind.

damion

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
Visit site
I just got a sun cat too. Yellow with dark circle on both sides of the body. It looks similar to the zamora cat. It was swimming freely at the lfs but when I got it home it did the hiding routine on me just like the zamora. Very disappointed. It wasn't as cheap as the channel cats for sale. Hope they don't grow as fast.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
The ones we have at the store are generally inactive until it's feeding time. I remember zamora cats! That was when I first started working. They were neat little guys. You got sucked into that channel cat trap huh?

damion

AC Members
Feb 23, 2003
Visit site
I initially wanted the silver tip (columbian)sharks but was told that brackish water was required. Therefore, I bought 2 small channels 1.5" figuring by the time they grew larger I would have purchased a larger tank. Within 5 months they reached 8" & 12". Had to give them away to lfs. Found 2" silver tips which were in freshwater tanks, got them and now they are 6" w/no problems. They swim synchronized all the time. The sun cat started to swim with the Irridescent Sharks now but the Zamora still hides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store