Sunsun 603 prefilter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ariaspabloj

AC Members
Sep 24, 2020
Hi all, I would like to use a prefilter for my sunsun 404b. I see quite a few people using the sunsun 603 as a mechanical filter connected to their main filter.
Does anyone here have this setup? Is it worth it?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That HW-404b is a big 5-stage canister filter. I guess I don't see the value in adding something upstream of it other than maybe a coarse sponge or mesh bag over the suction strainer.

If your goal is to not have to clean the 404b often, there's better ways to achieve that.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's not a bad plan to keep a sponge or something over the 404b's intake, but it might plug often given the flow rate.

I can go about 6 months between canister cleaning. My tanks with canisters also have HOB filters that do the bulk of the mechanical filtration. Those sponges get squeezed out every water change. Probably doesn't take 30sec to do.

What I'm gettin' at is, if you feel your 404b gets too dirty, too often you need to adjust the amount you feed, reduce your stocking level, get a bigger canister or add additional filters to the tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm a fan of a sponge over the intakes of all filters. Like FF said it only takes few minutes to rinse those but it will need doing every week or 3 depending on your tank, feeding & plants...much faster than cleaning a canister or even a HOB.

What size is your tank? I like 2 filters on most tanks over 20g whether it's 2 HOBs, a canister & HOB or even 2 canisters on a larger tank. I try to not have to clean HOBs more than every, say 4-6 weeks, canisters much less often, twice/year is often enough, less is better...prefilter sponges will allow you to do that...

ariaspabloj

AC Members
Sep 24, 2020
Currently i have a 40 breeder with sunsun 404b. i plan to move all to a new 75g tank.
I do have HOB filters with a sponge but i use those for pathos plants, which have been working great for me. I am in wheelchair and so would like to reduce cleaning, so my thinking process is that a prefilter such as the sunsun 603b will help with that, plus its smaller to handle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store