Super Glueing Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I'm sure there're about a billion posts on this already, but I can't seem to find them. I'm going to be doing major rescapes on my tanks this weekend... I seem to remember reading that you can superglue anubias and java fern to wood/rocks. Do you need to use a special type? Can it go right into the tank once it's dry or do you need to wait for it to "cure"? Thanks!!!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) I do not know if supper glue will stick to wood.
2) Once the glue is on it can go into the water/tank.
3) No special super glue, just get the gel type and not the thin runny type.
4) IMO---Black thread is better.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
And use cotton thread, it will break down after awhile, avoid nylon or sythetics.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
I used super glue to attach some Java Fern and Anubias to a piece of wood a few months ago. So far they are growing great, and no toxicity to the fish. The Glue does turn white underwater, so only put beads of glue on the underside of the plant that you are attaching. This way you won't see the white patches. Not that it couldn't happen, but I haven't seen any negative effects on any of the plants yet.

I also read a tip somewhere that said to dry the spot on the wood that you are attaching the plant to with a blow dryer to help it adhere better and faster. It was also recommended to spray the plants with water while you are drying the wood and waiting for the glue to dry.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Yes, it is tougher to stick on wood. Rocks no problem...but like already said use sparingly because it will show white. It is in my opinion much easier than tying...I can never get it tight enough or end up with it too tight!! Supe glue is the way to go!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
drill a small hole and stick the rhizome in it...works for me....

Last edited:

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Awesome!!! Thanks everyone :)

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Locktite Super Glue Gel. Reefers use it for corals, I've used it very successfully for plants.

As was mentioned, it can damage the rhizome, so use it sparingly. It doesn't take much to get it to stick. If it's a small plant, I'd recommend against superglue, due to the increased margin of error from decreased surface attachment area.

Though it does work underwater, it is harder to manage and ends up whiter that way. Definitely suggest making any attachments outside of the tank.

The good LFS around here has beautiful driftwood/plant combos, and uses Bob's method, which is what I have switched to with more recent endeavors.

I've never had much luck with the thread method.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Locktite Super Glue Gel. Reefers use it for corals, I've used it very successfully for plants.

As was mentioned, it can damage the rhizome, so use it sparingly. It doesn't take much to get it to stick. If it's a small plant, I'd recommend against superglue, due to the increased margin of error from decreased surface attachment area.

Though it does work underwater, it is harder to manage and ends up whiter that way. Definitely suggest making any attachments outside of the tank.

The good LFS around here has beautiful driftwood/plant combos, and uses Bob's method, which is what I have switched to with more recent endeavors.

I've never had much luck with the thread method.
+1, Reefers sleep with a bottle next to them. Not harmful at all. Gel is easier to work with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store