Super Guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reziztor

I'm the man in the box
Oct 20, 2005
Korea
I remember them as a kid. I live in asia and have not seen them here. I had forgotten about them until I saw this thread.

They cant be Gambusia... Mosquitofish dont have those fancy guppy tails. These had big beautiful tails.

Koi Hoe

AC Members
Nov 24, 2005
reziztor
You live in Korea, I'm from USA ,
SEE IF YOU CAN ASK AROUND ur neck of the woods and see if anyone is still breeding them , down in my neck of the woods over the big blue waters no one seem to have seen them in years also

any infor on them would be great

Thanks Alan

star_splinter

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2006
I saw what may have been one of these guppies in someone's tank last summer... it was a female, about three inches long. Definitely a guppy--they also had a few males, can't remember how big they were but they were large. Very typically guppy-looking (and the males were fancy), just on a larger scale. Since guppies don't live that long, someone in the US (this was in VA) must have been breeding them within the past few years. I'm not really in contact with this person or I would ask her where she got them. They did look pretty old, though. They were in a large tank; I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Koi Hoe

AC Members
Nov 24, 2005
I not sure I remember that they did tell me about feeding theM lots of high protein
Foods
I call up a old bud that I have not talk to in some years he thinKs there where call Super Delta Guppies

Seems some remember them beging around years ago but haven't seen them for some time now- wonder why

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
I thought of something that might be worth considering. At fist I thought a "super guppy" may have been some other type of livebearer. Back in the day they sold many livebearers that they do not anymore. I looked up profiles on guppies and some older information out there says they get up to 3"... but I have never seen a 3" guppy. Older information on guppies, say from the 60's and 70's, lists guppies as one of the most hardy fish with huge broods. This is no longer true now. Guppies have been so inbred that they are a shadow of what they once were. I read that they rarely reach the SIZES that they used to or could in the wild and that they have smaller broods. So my theory is that maybe the fact that most of our fancy guppies are so inbred now and infiltration of so much inferior stock has made super guppies less likely?

abraham

I'm not sick, but I'm not well...
Oct 17, 2005
temperance, Michigan
I doubt that they were anything else but guppies. Like stated before these babies had the color, and the tails, etc. They were guppies!

I do agree with the inbreeding part though, sadly enough.

Abraham

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Kissofthegorami said:
I thought of something that might be worth considering. At fist I thought a "super guppy" may have been some other type of livebearer. Back in the day they sold many livebearers that they do not anymore. I looked up profiles on guppies and some older information out there says they get up to 3"... but I have never seen a 3" guppy. Older information on guppies, say from the 60's and 70's, lists guppies as one of the most hardy fish with huge broods. This is no longer true now. Guppies have been so inbred that they are a shadow of what they once were. I read that they rarely reach the SIZES that they used to or could in the wild and that they have smaller broods. So my theory is that maybe the fact that most of our fancy guppies are so inbred now and infiltration of so much inferior stock has made super guppies less likely?
I have actually had 2 inch females in my tanks, I think the main reason we do not see fish of this size are 3 things, 1. Tank size, 2. water quality and 3 over crowding.
The average fish keep will have their tanks filled with fish in a small tank, we all have done this at one point or another. Due to this, the water quality will lower, from lack of proper water changes. This eventually will stunt the fish and they do not grow past their prime length.
Plus many people dump salt into the tank to "Tonic" the water, which in turns shortens the fish life spans.
But as for these Superguppies, I believe they were a morph created by one or 2 breeders who may not be in the business any more. Once these breeders left, we no longer saw these giants and due to the conditions I made mentioned of, many fell victim to poor care. I am sure if you looked around, there are probably some show guppies with these traits but you will more than likely pay for them. I remember seeing some Huge yellow females about 5-8 years ago. But since that shop closed, I haven't seen them any where else. So they may have been from a private breeder around my area supplying that shop.
So if you are interested in them, I suggest either checking with your local fish club, bound to be a local breeder with fish like that. Or, check around and find some breeder online who may have this morph/strain in his collection. Good luck but this strain might be extinct already, except for the few rare giants we see every now and then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store