Supermarket Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

charlie

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Has anyone every purchase live shrimp from the supermarket for their tanks?
I'm not sure if they are saltwater or freshwater.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
ive never seen any live. how big were they? i was tempted to buy a soft shell turtle once.

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
If they're alive, they are most likely salt...........Unless they're prawns. Those are mostly fresh (like tiger prawns). If you have fish in the tank with them consider them snacks to go. I think prawns are pretty good at catching fish.

always find a couple small prawns in the algae eating shrimp tanks,they came it incogneto & are mean in comparison.They boss around the AES & cick them out of caves & get 1st food but they seem to have some arangment worked out as theres never hardly any dead ones in there. Some ive seen are red clawed & purple clawed,I didnt see any fuzz on them but they sure looked like long armed shrimps to me.They have no place of sale just by acciden't here.no price (they just charge same as AES)if you can spot them.& get a sales person to get that one no no that one there yah thats it in a tank of 300 lmao! too funny ,some people are so cool about trivial things. Always find nice folk @ the LFS!

Last edited:
tricky thing is if they canabolise ,you wouldn't know about aES deaths ,what makes it even harder to tell it they shed their ectoskeletons wich look like eaten out shrimp shells .Ide like to collect them as they have more interesting colour & behavior(aside from the algae eating bennefits of the AES) but I don't trust them with other shrimp or bottom fish.those tiny pinchers are just too big and menacing for their body size,imo it must be an agressive trait, I'le have my eye on them in the mean time.

charlie

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
You can find live shrimp/prawns at chinese supermarkets. They had three different types of live shrimp. One had a weird looking head like I never seen before.

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
yeah, asian markets are your bestfriend to get shrimps.

They had abunch of shrimps that was white with orange stripes, and it was freshwater...and the lady said 25cents each if i wanted to buy a small amount haha.

-Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store